I wanna make one!

I dont even know how I came across these, but as soon as I saw it I wanted to make one!! An all cloth newborn doll?! No painting, just sewing. I love sewing. Is this not the cutest!!! They are weighed like real babies too!

24 Likes

I have tried making Dinky Babies.

They take a LOT of stuffing :wink: lol

Mine was not this cute but it was fun and for my toddler at the time.

4 Likes

I recently talked myself out of this. Thanks for posting! :rofl:

I used to make soft sculpture dolls, but they were like cabbage patch dolls- not weighted and not this cute, so I saw something similar (Waldorf dolls) and was SO tempted. Talked myself out of it though because there are not enough hours in the day for adult responsibilities and my hobbies as is…But if you make one, post pics. They are so cute.

6 Likes

Yep that is what they are called…Waldorf Dolls. I ;ve already ordered my supplies haha!! Oh boy, yeah I dont know on what planet I am thinking I would ever have time to try one, but I cant help myself. I have a sickness…someone please help. :joy:

6 Likes

I can’t help you because I have it too. :rofl: You sound like me: Like something, immediately pull trigger and order supplies. This is why my craft room looks like a section of Michael’s. It’s ridiculous. Lol

3 Likes

Just curious, what all did you have to order besides the material? See… here I go. Lol

2 Likes

Here is my attempt at Dinky Babies 5 years ago :wink:

16 Likes

That looks a bit like the dolls I used to make, @jlesser, but mine had yarn hair. What is this hair? Rooted?

1 Like

Craft fur, sewn kinda like a wig, then sewn on

2 Likes

I went on etsy!
Here are some things I found:

As for the pattern? I will be making my own from scratch. I can “see” the pattern pieces when I look at things that are sewn. I do it for a living lol. So I’m hoping I get it onthe first try!

3 Likes

aww so cute! How long did it take you to make it?

3 Likes

I think the correct fabric is called De Witt Engel.

2 Likes

I dont remember.

But pretty sure it takes long to reborn a kit. :wink:

3 Likes

This is true!! Not that it would replace reborning lol, but what a fun project!!!

2 Likes

By the way, as if that doll wasnt cute enough, I really got the fever to so one when I saw this darn video!

10 Likes

I also did similar babies in a stretch fabric that could be bought in AA colors as well I suppose basically like cabbage patch babies they were fun to make except for the stretch sewing it could be a pain with the machine I used .

3 Likes

I made a Waldorf type doll several years ago with a free pattern and some fabric I had lying around. All sewn by hand, so not that great. It was before I had money to make my own reborn and I wanted something to fill that void. She does have a magnetic pacifier, though. :joy:

7 Likes

The coolest part of these is that their faces under the cloth are felted. I’ve done soft sculpture before, but this is a whole new ball game. It’s tantalizing but I think I’ll stick with reborning.

4 Likes

these are amazing!! That looks awesome!

1 Like

haha those are adorbs!! Love the paci!

1 Like