How long does it take

When you start a reborn, how long does it take you to complete? Have you ever completed a reborn in 1 day?

1 Like

Depends on the kit, am I going to root or paint the hair, eyes open or closed. There’s a lot to consider but mine usually take 3 - 5 weeks. I don’t like to rush the results. I have done one in under 2 weeks but I was very nervous about the outcome. Client didn’t seem to mind just wanted it ASAP.

5 Likes

No, but I could do 5 in a week. :smile: Provided I paint the hair
That is because, there is too much waiting for the parts to dry, and then to cool down after baking. But if I work all day on 5 I should be able to have each of them painted within 5 - 7 days, It also takes at least overnight to set the glue I use to seal the eyes, eyelashes and attach magnet behind the mouth, and then another day for the glue sealing the parts to dry properly. To make a body takes me couple of hours, and to put the baby together takes bit of time too.

4 Likes

About a month for me, but that is working on multiple dolls at the same time.

2 Likes

I should say, that i do not produce 5 in a week, but I could if I wanted to LOL

Realistically, I work usually on about 3 in the same time, I only work on them in the afternoon after lunch for few hours, because I find that is the time the light is the best in my studio. Sometimes I might do bit in late morning if i really want one finished soon. And I totally finish one with painted hair in about 3 weeks from start to listing her. It take me another 5 - 8 weeks if I root her :smile:

4 Likes

Approx. 30 days. I’m anal. And do everything too light and go over things a million times. I used to be able to finish in 2 weeks. I need to up my stamina!!! And quit my job!

4 Likes

I just started on my second reborn last night. I did 1 coat of paint. I didn’t even cure it yet. I looked at the limbs earlier n have to correct some paint. I’m taking my time with this one, practice makes perfect.

1 Like

My rooted babies take 2 to 3 weeks. My Prisma painted babies take 1-2 weeks. They used to take me a lot longer . I am much more confident now.

4 Likes

consider that some people have work, kids and other thinks to do. Even you are stay home you may have different tasks each day . all depends how many hours can you dedicate to reborning

4 Likes

Absolutely, @andik! I used to be able to paint in one week and root in one week, completing the doll in 2 weeks. Now that my mom lives with me and I’m constantly going on doctor appointments and hospital stays, I’m lucky to get one made each month.

I can make a bald baby without magnets and eyes in 1 day I think maybe 2 depends on how much sleep I get. Lol most of mine take 1 week but the one I am doing now will be 2 weeks because we had a beautiful weekend here and I enjoyed the time off with my family :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m lucky to get one done in a week with painted hair; the hair takes the longest…paint a little, cool, paint a little more, cool, paint, cool, paint, cool…so yeah, 7 days if I’m lucky and that’s working a good 8 hours a day.

I can NOT imagine ever completing a reborn in just a day.

4 Likes

It would be easier to answer “How many hours does it take you to complete a newborn?”

If we are talking about a rooted baby, there is no way I could complete one in a day even if you mean a full 24 hours as it takes me 16 hours to root. I don’t have an exact time for the painting, but around 20-24 hours. I could do it faster but the quality would suffer. I like a lot of detail like the tiny wispy facial hairs and tiny capillaries in the eyelids and ears, texturing, double sealed, etc.

May I ask why you are asking? Are you wondering how long in will take you to make one or how many you can produce per year if you are thinking of the viability as a business?

6 Likes

I believe you need to wait for the paint to dry between coats; sometimes even couple of days; at least you had to do that, all those years ago when I was starting out

2 Likes

I just looked at somebody’s eBay account and she had listed 23 reborns! The most I ever managed was about 1/2 dozen, and that was when I did not sell any for many months. Cannot help wondering if people who have so many employ people to help.

2 Likes

I managed to make one in 2 days with micro rooted hair, painted in one day rooted the 2nd. Most of mine take me a week to a week and a half as once I start I usually keep going, I’m at home and on my own so I can dedicate time to it. I’m trying to slow down and spread my time out.

2 Likes

Well guess I’m really slow I have only made 2 in shorter time than a month​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I am pretty new
Have done 5…Doing one doll only.at a time…This last doll i finished i gave her very thin rooted hair . I rooted most of every day and evening for 4 or 5 days about 10 hours a day…
.When i paint at nght then i wait until good light in the morning to really look at how i painted it before baking…catch things you didnt notice. Is there a spot too thick.? is there too much paint between fingers ?Is there a dot of paint where i didnt want it?.Did paint get into the nail area and needs to be clean out.?
All that should be corrected BEFORE you bake
it on. and have a booboo spot
So far usually I have taken 2 to 3 weeks to finish one paint it the way i wish it to be. butbi an putting many hours each day doing this since i dont work.
Sonetimes you do a step and look later its too dark or doesnt look right. you need to change it Sometimes i look so long i dont know if i have it looking good or not so i take hours off or a day off to get "new eyes "see it as it is .

Then there are eyebrows which for me take at least half day to get right!

Best tip I have … Only bake paint when you are sure all looks right .Dont rush any of it.

4 Likes

The first reborn I did, I rushed trying to make her. With me working full time, it took me about a week. I was excited n wanted to see what the outcome would be. Now that I started on the second one, I know it’s gonna take me longer than a week. I thought or assumed it didn’t take that long to do a reborn. But I’ve learned you have to take your time. You can’t rush your work. I’m more conscious n pay more attention to what I’m doing.

1 Like

When I first started out, I could finish a doll quite quickly. My Oren Ryse took I believe 2 days working straight through, stopping only for bathroom breaks, food, and to scold my cat when he was scratching the couch. It was sheer luck that he turned out ok. My little clyde man took over a month, almost half of which was painting, the remainder was rooting. Granted, I worked 2 jobs at that time,but now even with only one job, it will still probably take that long to complete one lil bub.

1 Like