How long does it take from start to finish

What is your work flow?

Does it take you three days to paint a kit? A week? A month?

How long do you spend daily on average reborning?

I’ve seen so many different artists pop out babies in varied amounts of time. One takes a week to paint and a few hours to root. Another pops out a baby every couple days with painted hair. ( I can’t imagine how long it takes to bake an cool all those layers)

I know I’m just starting but it takes me forever and I don’t have that much free time to dedicate to working on them and it seems I’ve lost my mojo by the time I get back to it

I’d love to hear everyones stories

6 Likes

Pre-puppy I could paint a baby in a week and a half to two weeks. Working from around 10pm to 4am or so. Rooting takes about as long, regardless of size of the head unless it’s a preemie which I can do in 2 or 3 nights. I’m only able to work at night so I can’t get as much done

5 Likes

2 to 3 months

5 Likes

I only do it in my free time(I work). It takes me 3-4 months. I don’t think anyone could finish one in just a few days.

4 Likes

funny you should say that, lol

5 Likes

BUT Starr is unique. Yes she made a wonderful baby in a day…

But others can’t.

6 Likes

I used to be able to do one in 2-3 days… now it takes a week or more (way more if rooted). I think the more experienced you get you also slow down and add all the little details you didn’t as a beginner. Or you tweak the colors this way and that… etc.

I used to root faster too… but now I go slow and am picky on how it looks. No more than 2 hairs per hole ever, directional, etc. Try to mono root.

7 Likes

Takes me about 2 weeks. I paint hair and that part alone takes me 4 or 5 days. I spend most of a day varnishing at the end and then assembly, paci magnet, lashes drying…I allow 24 hours for the E 6000 to dry so there’s no smell.

5 Likes

I use airdry, so if I paint 4-6 hours a day it take me maybe 2-3 days. Than Painted hair one more day. Rooting can take everywhere between a week to 3 months, I can’t root more than 2-3 hours a day because my wrist is hurting.

5 Likes

I’ve completed four in January (two were started in Dec.) which is the same amount I completed all year last year. I only work on weekends, if I feel up to it but I finished these four because I worked Christmas break. Sometimes I am so tired once I get home I don’t want to do anything so that is why I usually only work weekends when I feel the energy. I have decided I must not leave all these kits for my son to deal with when I die so I’ve got to stay motivated.

5 Likes

I paint in spare time so some times months, but I also do a crafting event every couple months and working all day on one with air dry I can do most of one that day and finish finer details a different day. But at home I do not have uninterrupted time.

4 Likes

I was just telling my husband this the other day and in the next breath was showing him my BB wish list LMAO

5 Likes

It usually takes me 3-4 months start to finish and I usually work on dolls for at least two or three hours four days a week. I have several wips in various stages going and the paint takes about nine hundred years to cure here. I also have a sneaking suspicion I may be the world’s slowest rooter.

3 Likes

Because I don’t have a lot of down time I rather respond with hours spent reborning from start to finish. I put in at least 40 upwards of 80 hours per reborn. For me this means about 3 months before I have one completed. I really wish I could find more spare time.

3 Likes

You need to have a will. Then you can leave the dolls/kits to a reborn friend. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OK. Here goes. I started in February of 2018. I finished my first baby, done with craft paints because I did not know any better, in March sometime. I have made one more baby, about a 3 mo size, and 2 10-inch babies. I don’t remember how long those took. But, the one I am one now, Skya awake, I have had on the table since the Spring of 2019. I didn’t get too far. I tree hit my house. We had to go to a hotel for over 4 months. Then when we came home in November, I decided to strip her and start over. I was pretty sure that even though I had taken precautions, left a note on the dolly room door to leave that door closed, that there was probably some kind of dust or debris on her. So, I felt it would be best to just start fresh. Well, I haven’t done too much on her since then. We have had the holidays, etc. My health is not good enough that I can just plan to sit down and paint. (Wish it were.) Now, she is in a spot with the reborning that i am not happy with the color and the dark splotches on her. I did give her a wash – I can’t remember color. Might have been green. Which wash is it you guys put on your dolls when you want to give them a nice, warm look at the end of painting? I get confused if it is burnt sienna, or burnt umber?

3 Likes

It normally takes me 2-4 weeks to paint a kit of newborn size. I don’t root so this is for a bald baby, and only painting in the evenings and weekends. The shortest time I’ve made a reborn is about 5 days but that was 8-10 hour days all those 5 days

3 Likes

Burnt Umber :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you! I think I will try that next.

1 Like

About 2 weeks to a month to paint a kit, and like a month and a half to root :sob:

2 Likes