How do you achieve splotchy newborn mottling?

Hi there everybody! I’m not sure if this question has been asked before. I looked using the spyglass but didn’t find anything.

I have a question about newborn/just born mottling. For the heavier mottling, how do you achieve it? Do you do the mottling layers darker? Do you do more layers of mottling?

Thanks,
Julie

Same question asked in November, received 19 replies…

1 Like

I do both- a little darker and more layers. And red washes for newborn color

1 Like

I forgot about that.Thanks for reminding me! This one is asking about mottling though. I wonder if I should retitle the thread?

Good idea!

I use a lot of mottles in different colors, red, purple, pink, even green or yellow depending on what look I’m trying to achieve. I use thin primary washes of color, too. I never use thick paint because it can crack. Learned that the hard way :roll_eyes:

Maybe try some different techniques on some test pieces until you get the look you want.

2 Likes

This is a doll I had custom made for me a few years ago. I’ve probably shared her on here before but this is what I mean by heavy mottling:

2 Likes

I like that look, too. Several mottle layers with light and then darker and I like to use different mottling sponges, some with larger holes and some with smaller holes so it doesn’t give a cookie cutter appearance, if that makes sense. This is why I don’t do tutorials :joy:

Looks like maybe a light purple wash at the end or it might be my monitor.

1 Like

Here’s a picture of the baby finished:

1 Like

Awwww, Libby’s such a chunk!

1 Like

For my more pronounced mottling I use a more concentrated mottling mix, I do many many mottling layers with different size patterns. If I want a more splotchy look I use mostly my small mottling pattern sponges.

1 Like

Thank you :blush: do you use air dry or heat set? I use air dry

1 Like

I use heat set now, but started with air dry and my techniques are pretty much the same.

1 Like