How do you get that splotchy newborn look?

Hi there everyone! For those who paint splotchy newborn skin, how do you achieve it? Do you do flesh 08 with mottling on top it? Do you just mottle? Do you do other wash colors? I am trying to make a splotchy newborn myself as I like the coloring. I guess by splotchy newborn I mean with the red and pinks and maybe even some purples?
Thanks,
Julie

1 Like

Have you tried the picking at a makeup sponge trick? As a ‘dabbing’ paintbrush it makes great texture like mottling. Or do you mean more the colour?

I mean more the color :slight_smile:

I do a lot of splotchy newborn style, I’m not sure if this is what you mean? But I never use flesh and I rarely do washes, all mine are built up with mottles, I also use a lot of mottling sponges with a very small pattern, probably what some would consider texture sponges. If I want more color I do more layers and a darker concentration in my paint for my splotchy blush. If I want a redder baby I use more red and avoid yellow, which will work with my blue to tone my red down. I use a huge variety of different reds, pinks, blues and purples.

8 Likes

Yes kind of like yours :slight_smile: thank you for sharing!

1 Like

I also found these pictures of real babies:

1 Like

I’ve always loved this look and it’s hard to achieve…they look very pink. I think @AGivensBaby might be able to give some tips because she does really beautiful pinky colored babies

2 Likes

Aww thanks for the mention :heart:
I use a lot of white in layers to get a pinkish purple look. I do layers of light pink and purple until I achieve the color I’m looking for, sometimes even a layer of just white.
I don’t do an all over yellow layer for this skin tone. But I do leave certain areas blank (nose y of the ear etc) and paint them a white and yellow ochre mix (again more white than yellow).
I paint the lips and fingernails/toenails a darker purple. Here’s my latest attempt with this just born look:

8 Likes

I love it! Your just born baby is adorable!

3 Likes

Thank you :heart: oh and I forgot, for a JUST born baby, I paint the feet and hands a lighter purple.

3 Likes

Absolutely perfect!! I love your style Rachel!

2 Likes

What shade of white do you use? Like white or flesh 08?

1 Like

Just white

1 Like

Does that include if the doll kit is already a netural color vinyl?

1 Like

I just go with it, whatever the vinyl color is and keep adding layers until I like it :blush:

2 Likes

do you use mostly washes? Do you do mottling?

1 Like

I go over my washes with a sponge while wet so they are a little mottled looking

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I love the hair on the picture of the doll kit with it’s the head and limbs aren’t connected yet, did you have to use a pattern for the hair?

I would like to do more painted hair