Help me decide which air paint to buy...PLEASE šŸ˜

It only came with a small thing of slow dryā€¦ Can I use the liquidex slow dry in place of the miracle blend? Itā€™s a different consistencyā€¦

1 Like

Shoot Deb!!! So many are using them!!!

1 Like

@DDDolly Deb, will you tell me the name to look up to find the pigments you talk about? Iā€™m going to blick! :kiss:

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m glad to know!!! Iā€™m going to look these upā€¦ Iā€™m wondering what tools are used with powders!:thinking:

1 Like

Thank You for sharing your knowledge Deb, We are all here to help one another but we donā€™t all take everything everyone says and use it to our advantage. So I feel that we can all benefit from others but donā€™t have to. I appreciate your willingness to help us all and those that want the knowledge and help are going to use it!! So thank you!!

7 Likes

I use Cheā€™air paints and Art and Magic- not together though. I very much enjoy both paints.

2 Likes

I started reborning with air dry paints from Bloomers and Bows. I really liked them but when Elena passed away I couldnā€™t get them anymore. Then I tried LDC paints. I liked them a lot but then they became unavailable so I tries Luminaire. They had great instructions and I really liked the result. The problem I had was that, even after curing for 3 weeks, while I was rooting the head the paint came off her face. This was a toddler kit and I had to strip her and start over. I could not get a response of any kind from the company. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. I threw the Luminaires away and I personally would not recommend them. Then I started using Reeves artist acrylics and I really liked the results with those, too. After doing some research about acrylics paints (which I should have done in the first place) I learned that there are 4 grades of acrylic pints-craft, student, artist and professional. The professional ones are archival, which means they are not supposed to fade for 100 years. When i realized that the Reeves paints are not archival I switched to Liquitex Soft Body. I bought a basic set of 6 colorss-red, green, yellow, blue, black and white. I also bought individual tubes of burnt umber and Van Dyke red, From these, I mix my own colors. I also bought a jar of Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel and a jar of Liquitex Matte Varnish. I add a small amount of the matte gel to my paints that are diluted with water, and seal by pouncing then blotting the matte varnish to give the most matte finish.I do dilute it just a bit because I want the silky feel of baby skin without shine. Iā€™m considering trying the DecoArt Soft Touch varnish but havenā€™t yet. I havenā€™t used any of mine up yet but I expect they will last a long time. It only takes a tiny amount to do washes, and not much more for veins, blushing, etc. Here are some pictures of my Angel that was done with Liquitex. I was really pleased with how she turned out. Sheā€™s now for sale on reborns.com.

9 Likes

Thank you so much @jeanhai for the info :grin: Iā€™m gonna try to mix my own

1 Like

I bought a beginners set off of eBay from Still Moments nursery and I LOVE it! You get 18 paints and they are bigger than any others Iā€™ve seen (I forget the exact size but, can find out if your interested) . You get everything you need including vinyl wash and matte finish with excellent instructions and sheā€™s super helpful! I only paid $59 for my set but, I think itā€™s a little more expensive now that she moved back to Canada. I also just bought a set of primary colors to mix my own colors. Lovinā€™ it! If youā€™re interested let me know :blush:

3 Likes

I plan to mix my own once the ones I have now are gone. Will probably be awhile :wink: However, if youā€™ve never attempted reborning it may be helpful to purchase a small premixed set until you get a good feel for the paints :slight_smile: Best of luck! Iā€™d love to hear what you decide :blush:

1 Like

I second that :blush: thank you, thank you for the help :blush:

1 Like

I use Luminaire and love them. I have no desire to switch. Not sure why people donā€™t like them. The key to Luminaire is to make sure you use their vinyl prep first. I seal with glass and tile medium and get a beautiful result. I actually did a Meagan for my little girl and she put some American girl doll clothes on her. It stained the baby so I tried to clean it off. I figured if I ruined the baby, I would just repaint it. I scrubbed it with comet, which I do not recommend, (lol). The paint is still in tact. I think that speaks volumes.

2 Likes

That was super informative thank you!!! I think I may try those paintsā€¦ Eek Iā€™m so nervous!

What color did you ise for those lips?! Soooo beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you. Lips I do with thin layers of different colors until I get the shade I like best with the skin tones.

3 Likes

I had one more question, lol sorry! Iā€™m getting a shopping cart together of the liquitex soft body to get a price estimate and added the mattes you liked too. Ok I have two questionsā€¦ Do I need new brushes? And do I need to buy any sealer or when they dry they are set?

1 Like

You will need new brushes in case thereā€™s any fine Genesis residueā€¦ I do use the Liquitex Professional Matte Varnish to seal.

5 Likes

Youā€™re the best thank you! Oh gosh am I nervous!!!

3 Likes

Donā€™t be nervous. Youā€™ll love how fast you can do a baby with no baking. No chance of melting it. If you donā€™t like how it comes out, strip it and try again. How can you lose?

3 Likes

Right now I am using Art & Magic Waterborne, but will be buying Liquitex Soft Body once these run out. I have a lot left and am on my 4th baby. I do like Waterborne, but iā€™m ready to mix my own colors. Besides @DDDolly has thorougly convinced me, lol.

2 Likes