Help me decide which air paint to buy...PLEASE šŸ˜

I want to try out air dry paints and I have no idea which brand is best. Please help me decide :grin:

1 Like

I have no clue but saved this list from another post and thought I would pass it onā€¦

3 Likes

Thank you :grin: Youā€™re always so helpful

4 Likes

I have tried Luminaire and Cheā€™air (Che'air Dry Paints - Other Paint Set) and like them both.

3 Likes

I think a lot of people are liking the baby fx right now.

2 Likes

I like the FX but havenā€™t tried the others. I would stay away from Luninaire. They have a reputation for not staying put although so folks have even used Luminaire successfully. But I think the FX is a safe bet and so is the one Nikki is using. I canā€™t remember the name now. (senior moment)

3 Likes

I use Liquitex Professional Soft Body paints. I buy them at Michaelā€™s. BabyFX and Art and Magic Waterborne are both popular brands. I donā€™t recommend Luminaire. They tend to come off and their customer service is terrible.

4 Likes

Hey Jean,
Would you post a picture of one of your dolls done with Liquitex Soft Body? I have been looking at the possibility of using more traditional paints. The FX end up so expensive. I am also very comfortable witht he quality of professional Liquitex paints. How has your experience been with them? Why did you choose to go this route? Would you be able to post a list of colors??? Can I take up your entire day doing things to post for me? HEE HEE.

6 Likes

Lol Iā€™ve been wondering the same things and do you use thinner like like you would with Genesis to thin or use water?

Donā€™t worry Jean Iā€™ll take up your day too! HAHA! :wink:

1 Like

I do think many like Baby FX, but I have been using air dry since I started painting and Baby FX did not exist then. I bought some to try, but am so used to what I have been using. I mix my own for the most part, but do LOVE the Luminaire lip paints and use them without problems.

1 Like

I would like to know also about the Liquitex soft body paints. I want to try air dry but am a little hesitant about how long the paints last. Cost is a factor for me. Genesis as you know lasts forever!! Seems like the air dry get used up pretty quickly----am I wrong? Helen, hereā€™s a question for you. What is it that you use up the quickest in your air dry??

2 Likes

No Lynn, youā€™re not wrong. Iā€™ve only had to replace two of my original Genesis paints in three years, but with the FX, I have already replaced flesh and thin skin. (They were the small size though). Beause they dry on your palette if you are not careful, you sometimes lose paint. Iā€™ve taken to mixing mine in jars that seal tight so I can keep them from doll to doll. I also cover any colors I have mixed on my palette. I use plastic wrap to keep them overnight, etc. But still, the paints seem to go really fast. I think FX should have been put out in larger containers in the first place. Sometimes it feels like itā€™s all about money, money, moneyā€¦ sigh.

3 Likes

Here is a sample of cher air paint and baby fx. one drop straight from the bottle smeared. As you can see fx is very concentratedā€“right side. not sure how consistency compares with genisis.i never tried it. maybe this would help with transition. if you use geneis maybe you could do the same for me. That would give me perspective on what everyone else deals with.

3 Likes

i only use luminaires, i love them. they are priced well and last a long time. my 2 cents worth.:relaxed:

2 Likes

I am not Jeanhai, but wanted to share anyway! Here is a link to my thread with some pictures. Londyn was painted with Liquitex except lips and that was Luminaire Rose-she was about a third of the way finished in that picture.

And I am trying to finish up those I started and did not get time to finish, so this is Tegan who just got lashes rooted. This is a Liquitex baby with Luninaire Strawberry lips. I painted this one almost two years ago and then had to put her aside to work on other things, the paint is still fantastic- no fading, no stickiness- it was sealed. I took this under my Ott light so it is a little washed outā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m slowly gathering supplies and was looking at fx. If I get one kit, do people suggest the intro set or the heat replacement set? I will be a beginner reborner so was just wondering if the colors were better in one versus the other?

2 Likes

Ok- another question since there has been so much discussion about air dry lately. If I use liquitex, what other products are needed-like thinners, mediums, etc?

1 Like

I bought the Heat Set Replacement pack, but if I had it to do over I would get the intro set because you do get more to try and some of the premixed colors included are beautiful in the pictures that I have seen. And I only tried it once and used a good half of the bottle of slow dry. I think starting out not having to mix everything from scratch might be nice. However, the Baby FX users would know better than me on this.

4 Likes

@Sony72 I just recieved the 28 bottle set of miracle blend!!! And my costal scents powders! The 88 color set. How do you mix your miracle blend? I want to start but Iā€™m nervous. I guess I should go look for which baby to start on! Iā€™m seriously having anxiety. I feel like a newbie!

2 Likes

Ok Iā€™m going back and forth between miracle blend and baby fx however if I could learn to mix my own that would be amazing @jeanhai did you use any other bar and of air dry before you started making your own? And is it way cheaper to mix your own? because I will go to Michaelā€™s today if you give me a list of what I need to mix my own paints