Have you ever gotten attached?

I have never kept a doll I have made. I’ve either sold or repurposed them, always. I’ve had my Wilby posted for a while and I’ve taken several rounds of pictures, changed his outfits, changed the gender, etc. I’ve had him for so long now, I think I’m attached. Sometimes I just go up to my work room and hold him. Aesthetically, he’s got some odd angles, but man, I love holding him. Do you guys ever keep your dolls?

6 Likes

I’ve started to finally paint some for myself…definitely am attached to them and most likely won’t sell them. Some are made to look like my kids which is the main reason :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I never keep mine but out of the almost hundred I’ve painted there’s been two babies that I got soo attached to and regret selling :sob:

3 Likes

i have 4 that were made to look like my 4 children. Now I’m thinking of selling them, as i don’t really have the room to keep them. my first reborn i bought (my oldest son), second one was my first reborn I made (my youngest son). The other two I made. I was gonna give my girl doll to my daughter (for her daughter), but how do I give away or sell the other 3? One is Saskia, one BB Scarlet and the other is Sharlamae

3 Likes

I have one son and i’ve never tried to make one that looked like him. I don’t know how I could part with it!

3 Likes

I’m the opposite of most here. I rarely sell! I mostly make dolls that appeal to me, most of them alternatives. So it’s hard to sell.

4 Likes

You should have kept your first Levi and Remi :weary:

3 Likes

How did you know :rofl: I must talk about them too much :joy:

13 Likes

I have painted close to 200 now and I have never kept any. There has been a few a really had a hard time parting with, but I keep pics and look at them often :relaxed: I keep telling myself someday I’ll keep one, but hasn’t happened yet.

3 Likes

I’ve heard you talk about them so much and also, those are the 2 of yours that I would have never been able to sell if I was you. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I get very attached :weary: Even when I don’t care much for a sculpt the whole time I’m painting, the minute I weight and assemble it I’m like “aww, hello new keeper!” It’s really not sustainable and I have no good advice. Lol.

6 Likes

I had that happen with Stanley Oliver. He just sat there not selling. I would pick him up and apologize for him not finding a Mom LOL. I got attached and he is living with me LOL. He is so darling and I actually didn’t like this sculpt to start with.I have 5 babies I have gotten attached to but the rest go to their forever Moms. I am not a collector so most I love but let them go. :footprints: :baby:

3 Likes

I get attached to almost all of them and love to see them going to good homes. The temptation to keep them is minimal though because this is an expensive hobby. When I add up how many kits I can buy with the money from the sale, off they go. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I ended up keeping my prototype of Teddy as my first collection baby. I say first because I can definitely see myself keeping a few favorites in the future. I’ve only had a few minis from others until now. (And my daughters Jaycee from my early painting)
Teddy Grace just hangs out on my landing where I take my photos :laughing::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

15 Likes

I do get attached. There are a couple I regret selling but most of the time, if it’s a sculpt I know I love, I either buy two or the one I buy stays with me.

1 Like

The only ones I’ll never sell that I made are sold out kits. Open editions will always be for sale because I have confidence I can re-create it

3 Likes

Awwwww Remi! THIS Remi was PERFECTION - she needed to stay with you :sleepy:

3 Likes

Yes, too many. I have kept a lot . Now I don’t have room for them anymore! Now I’m trying to sell them right away before I get attached. LOL! I just sold “Romy” and already miss her LOL!

2 Likes

I made a portrait baby of my son. That one’s never going anywhere. I regret selling Ivy Jane by Melody Hess and Huxley.

2 Likes

I haven’t sold any of my dolls yet. I don’t know if I want to get into that. So I make them and give them as gifts or keep them. I also collect other artists’ work. I have so many left to reborn, I eventually will have to sell or be overrun lol.

4 Likes