Handling Vinyl Babies

So, how long does it take to start creating shiny spots on a vinyl baby or create a stress spot from turning the limbs and head?

I absolutely LOVE Sapphira! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m terrified to touch her. :flushed:

I changed her outfit today and held her some. I was thinking about it all and I’m worried I’m gonna wear her out in less than a year. She mostly just sits or lays in her bassinet. She is absolutely adorable and I love walking past her and looking at her but, she feels really nice too and holding her is so enjoyable!

I’m trying to figure out how to find a happy place in the middle where I get to hold her some but keep her nice for a long time.

It sounds dumb but my sili baby gets more wear than her. I mess with him every day. He seems to be holding up good but even if he weren’t, I’m not sure I’d care. I’d just enjoy him until he was no longer serviceable and call it a day.

I don’t know why it is that I’m so worried about this vinyl baby. She somehow seems more delicate even though vinyl is a much sturdier material and it is harder to have peeling paint on it.

I also have to add a cute picture. :grin: Can’t have a Baby Talk post without a photo of the baby.

17 Likes

This is from someone who handles their babies daily and changes them more often than they should.

You have a leg up on those who don’t reborn themselves. If she gets shiny, revarnish her with an air dry varnish. I have a doll that I revarnish every few months because she gets handled a LOT. Normally I can do just touch ups and hit her hands, feet, and cheeks which show more wear quickly.

Change clothing from the bottom up, don’t pull anything over her head. They’ll protect her ears, cheeks, nose, and lashes.

In general I don’t think you have to worry so much. When you see shine, add some varnish: this will protect the paint. I also know Sapphira is air dry and her paint is going to be hard as hell to ruin. Just keep her varnished.

4 Likes

Maven has been carrying this head around for months. It hasn’t gone shiny yet. And she is not gentle with it. :rofl:

20 Likes

They are not really fragile, as long as you don’t rub her on hard surfaces. You can always revarnish. The only thing I can think of is that the polyfill may sink to the bottom, but you know how to reweight I guess.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much. You can re-varnish any shiny spots.
Go give that baby a good cuddle!

2 Likes

I guess you guys are right. I just don’t want to ruin her paint because I can’t fix that. I do have some air dry varnish here because I don’t like the GHSP varnish. I do just adore her! I do know how to re-weight her too but I’m afraid I’ll scrape her paint popping her head off. Lol!! Honestly, I feel kind of stupid about it now. Thanks guys! I’ll snuggle her more then!

3 Likes

Cute!

2 Likes

Lol, just be glad you can snuggle your babies and cuddle away. My poor 22 year old daughter can’t handle me snuggling one. She can cope with the grandkids of course but something about the dolls bugs her. Just got bit by the cat for being on here instead of petting. Jealousy…

6 Likes

It is exactly as @RosieCait says. She is an expert on handling babies, trust me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The only way that I can think of to scrape paint would be a slip up when cutting zip ties or something like that. If the varnish wore off from handling, you’d varnish again. Even if varnish wore off and you somehow managed to rub a layer of paint off, there are 20 more under that. If you ever need help, you know I’m right here, not far from you.

I’m happy to hear that you love her that much. :heart:

P.s. She has 2 layers of varnish on and 3 in the areas most likely to wear off.

3 Likes

This makes me sad. I hate that these dolls can be so disturbing to some. :pensive:

3 Likes

Yes but what if you move away? Lol!!

I feel a LOT better knowing she has extra varnish! Thank you!

3 Likes

Does she carry just the head?

2 Likes

My kids don’t seem to have a problem with my dolls, but last Sunday our daughter who is 40, brought a lady to lunch. Apparently, she found them a little unsettling. She said they looked too real. If she comes again, I will move them.

2 Likes

I can’t afford to. I spend all of my money on dolls! :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes. She has whole dolls. But she always throws them aside and picks a head from my stash to carry around. Today she dug this one out of a macpherson box. Notice her baby with a body and limbs is just thrown to the side. :rofl:

This little girl is going to grow up so warped. :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

10 Likes

Not necessarily, maybe she’ll just grow up to be a reborn artist. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

I wouldn’t say she will be warped. She may become a great brain surgeon. :slight_smile: She is really precious. Just a little doll.

3 Likes

How do you not smoosh this child to death??? She is so stinking cute…I would kiss her constantly!!! :heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

4 Likes

She is so cute!

2 Likes

If she will get shiny with time, you can always revarnish her. I noticed that her feet are touching - that I would recommend do avoid as I’ve read that some people had problem for paint get lifted that way ( I guess if you leave touching parts for too long).

4 Likes