Eyes and lashes

I’ve used the spy glass and I’ve watched several videos. I’ve seen open eyed lashes rooted two different ways - one way was rooted on the underside of the lid angling up just above the back of the eye, and the other way was rooting down from the top and thru the lid. Can anyone give their recommendation on this? Also, I’ll be rooting Meki Stoete, which is a harder vinyl, and I use air dry. Should I just buy a rooting lamp for hair, and how difficult is it rooting lashes in her hard head? She scares me a little…

1 Like

There’s no law against using applied lashes. The wispy ones from BB look pretty realistic. The thicker ones look like spider legs. I use the wispy ones all the time. I also use air dry and I never heat my heads. I fill them with polypellets up to the neck flange and pack them in tightly with paper towels. It keeps the vinyl from ‘giving’ so there’s less bending and breaking of the needles. If it’s not rock hard vinyl you may not need to heat it at all. You also can use a heating pad-less chance of melting because you apply it to warm it up then remove it to root a section.

3 Likes

I normally root exactly as you do by filling the head with poly pellets. This will be my first time rooting German vinyl, and after the Felicity atrocity, it makes me really nervous. I’ve never used applied lashes, not even on my first baby, so I’d rather root them, but the harder vinyl is a concern, and doing them the proper way is of utmost importance. I have an open eyed practice head but I want to know I have the technique correct before I practice.

I hateeeeeeeeeee doing eyes. Grrr

2 Likes

I think I already do as well Lol
Sleeping babies are so much easier!

1 Like

My best advice, If it is heat set paint go put it on a cycle to make the head warm. Try to go straight in the middle not slanted up or down. That’s my goal. I stilllll struggle

I use air dry so no warming the head. I"m confused on where your rooting - straight in from the front? I’m so confused…LOL. Here is her WIP so you can see her eyes.

6 Likes

I used applied eyelashes on Emmy for the 1st time, rooting them was impossible, vinyl way too hard.

For rooting them, just go with what you are most comfortable with.

2 Likes

That’s just it - I’ve never rooted an open eyed baby, and my confusion is coming from proper rooting method and placement and angle.

Aww she’s adorable!

1 Like

Thank you! I"d like to keep her adorable and not screw up her lashes LOL

1 Like

This baby is beautiful even without lashes!!!
So not in the crease but so carefully in the middle of the little lid :joy:

1 Like

But you have to take the eyeballs out.
I tried lol :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thank you! That is the only thing I do know is not in the crease which would be really weird :yum:

1 Like

If the head is not warm, the vinyl can split easy or get damaged

1 Like

Is it easier to catch a hair on your needle first, then root it one hair at a time? On closed eyes, I just lay a small hunk and kind of root by “feel” and catching it in the crease.

1 Like

That’s why I wondered if I shouldn’t just invest in the rooting lamp? I could warm it with a blow dryer, but since I don’t bake my kits, and have never used ghp, I have no clue how warm is warm enough?

1 Like

This tutorial i used
It is from Sarah Mellman Enchanted Kreature Kits Enchanted Moments Nursery
Sweet woman who explane it very good for asleep and awake baby’s
Hope this will help you

4 Likes

Thank you!! Is she rooting on the underside of the lid, or just on the lowest part of the front?

2 Likes

Just on the lowest part of the front that is how i did it just angle a little up like she shows
Good Luck :+1:

2 Likes