DecoArt varnish

There has been a lot of talk lately about different varnishes. I think I remember reading something about a DecoArt or something soft varnish—am I right here? Is this varnish/finish/sealer made for air dry? Is it useable over GHSP? Who is using this and do you love it??
Also: can you root over it and does it make marks? Or would rooting over it cause it to begin to peel??

2 Likes

Thanks Deb, I just wondered if you COULD put it on a GHSP painted doll when it was all completely finished!! Do you paint this on or pounce it with a sponge-----how is it applied for the best result?? Also, about how long does it take to dry before you can handle the doll, dress etc.???

3 Likes

Can you please post some pics so we can see? I’d LOVE to see your work, it sounds lovely! I am definitely interested in anything that gives a soft real skin glow. I still use Genesis but can see myself trying air dry at some point, too. These days I’m all about trying new things! :smile:

4 Likes

Could you please explain this further? Exactly what matte and what satin did you mix it with?

Am I understanding correctly that the pan pigments have no binders?

2 Likes

I am still having a hard time grasping this. When I tried the Decoart Soft Touch alone it had too much sheen for me. I looked at the Golden Satin Liquid to which you referred in another post and if I understand it correctly the Golden Satin Liquid is a Glazing Gel of sorts. Correct? I always thought glazing gels increased sheen, not reduced them. My question is does the Golden Satin Liquid REDUCE the sheen of the DecoArt Soft Touch or add to it?

2 Likes

Ok I have been reading about that product and it also says it extends drying time of the paints so in a way it is like a retarder as well? I wonder if it thins out the Decoart so that is cuts some of the sheen?

1 Like

So you are mixing the Soft Touch INTO your Genesis Matte Varnish and THEN baking the mixture?

3 Likes

Did you do the arm bend test?

2 Likes

I think I have that one! :grinning:

1 Like

Sweeeeeet! I’m going to give it a whirl!

1 Like

Good job, you little scientist!!! :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yay! I have it!!! :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

I am not interesting in mixing air dry with Genesis right now. If I use Genesis to seal I mix the matte with the satin and a little Genesis thinner and am happy with that. However, I want to find an air dry sealer mix that I am totally happy with, SO I am thinking I will try getting some of this Golden Satin Liquid to try in the mix. I want to try it in my Baby FX paints too. To me it is the mediums that go with Baby FX that runs up the costs so if I can use other mediums with it and get results I like then I am up for that. I don’t have any desire to stop using the Baby FX paints themselves though. I am just sold on them.

4 Likes

Deb, didn’t I hear someone say they mixed in a matting powder to make it even more matte?? Where do you get the matting powder and how much would you use?? Also, can you get this stuff at Michaels or Hobby Lobby?

2 Likes

That was @Sony72 I believe!

1 Like

Thanks Niki, where did you get yours??

1 Like

I’ve tested using a little of the Babyfx matting powder mixed in with the soft touch varnish and it worked great at making it matte. I had applied the soft touch alone and it had a nice light glow to it then as it sat and cured it became more and more shiny over time even without being handled :frowning: It stayed matte even when fully cured when I added some of the matting powder.

3 Likes

That was me too. I mixed in the Baby FX matting powder to make it more matte. It does help. You melt the matting powder in a little distilled water and then add your Soft Touch Varnish.

3 Likes

Who sells the FX matting powder??

1 Like