Celeste giving me fits!

I’m putting the eyes in my open-eyed Celeste. I’m using the flat glass because they fit the best. They’re not my favorite eyes. But, they are giving me absolute fits. They are heavy to start with and want to pull away before the glue dries. I keep getting glue on Celeste and having to clean that up. I had to pull her rooted eyelashes out and I think she is going to be lashless because I have to set the eyes. I have tried putting the eyes on felt and then positioning them. They came loose. I’ve tried putting glue on the eye. That was too messy and wrecked my eyelashes. I currently have them in. I put sticky dots on the corners and positioned the eyes and glued from the back, If they stay in long enough to dry it is my intention to cover the backs with silicone sealer and then glue felt behind that for ultimate security. I sure hope this works! Anybody have a really good solution if it doesn’t?

1 Like

Never done this before, but I think maybe you should replace the glass eyes with realistic acrylic ones? Her eyes are so squinty you probably couldn’t tell the difference. Also, what if you first cut out a square of fabric bigger than the eye and glue the eye in the center of the fabric. Then add glue around the outside edge of the fabric and glue that part into the vinyl similar to when you back noses with felt? I’m not sure if that makes sense or not, but it might be worth trying.

1 Like

It makes perfect sense, Izzy. In fact, I tried it, and have used that technique before, but the glass eyes are heavy and just seemed to pull away before the glue dried. As for changing to acrylic eyes, I would, but they don’t fit in the socket area as well as the flat backed eyes so I have to use these. I’ll get them to stay eventually. I just need to be patient.

2 Likes

Maybe if you used oval shaped eyes? Or let the glue dry face down? I’m sure someone with more experience can help you. Good luck!

What about self-stick moleskin from Dr. Scholl’s? I think someone mentioned that in another thread.

i actually have some, Amy! Maybe I’ll try that if this doesn’t work.

1 Like

Let us know what works!

Will do.

1 Like

When I get that far I plan to use the sticky moleskin. I’m still in the painting stage now and SOOOOOO unhappy that I opened her eyes…not smooth at all and I’m afraid it’s going to look crappy. WAAAA WAAAA WAAAA :imp:

Can you maybe gently file with a nail filer or something? I ruined a kit once by opening the eyes. The vinyl was older and thick, and the eyelids were flat so it was a complete flop. Soon after that I realized reborning wasn’t for me and moved onto sculpting lol.

1 Like

Karen, it’ll work out. :blush:

1 Like

I think mine are finally in. I used E-6000 and then silcone sealer. Tomorrow I will back with either felt or molesking and then I can finish rooting. Sheesh. These eyes have taken me all darn day! I have enjoyed the open-eyed challenge, but am ready to do something more normal. I’m not in a hurry to open anymore doll eyes.

Acetone and a file will smooth the eyelids, but it’s not easy nor perfect.

3 Likes

Glad you got the eyes in!

I’ve tried acetone and a file and it doesn’t look any better. Grrrrrrrrr…I do NOT like this baby

She has been a real trouble-maker for me too but I’m almost finished.

1 Like

oh Karen…that makes me sad. You were so excited when you opened her eyes. I was going to suggest you try to soften and smooth the edges with acetone but if you’ve already tried it,…never mind. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Karen, especially after the troubles with Lulu.

2 Likes

Thanks ~ some days I could walk away, shut the door, and never look back. (sigh)

Ohhhh, sending some hugs, Karen! (((((((((HUG))))))))))

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll get it eventually! Maybe sandpaper?

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhh I have totally enjoyed Celeste. I still have to do brows and then sealer. Then I can root her. I gotta get her done lol

1 Like