BB bait and switch

I saw that Bountiful Baby had some old original formula Genesis matte varnish in stock. Well I went crazy and made 4 orders totaling 50 jars. I got my first order today, of 15 jars, it is not original formula Genesis, it’s not even Genesis, and I’m pretty sure it’s not even a matte varnish . The labels on the jars i got says Pratt Paints matte, the label and info on the product sales page clearly says Genesis old formula.

I decided to try it on a test head and this product is super thin, stringy and so sticky that it was actually really difficult to even get on the vinyl, it would roll off the vinyl and come back up to my brush and cosmetic wedge. When I could get it on the vinyl it just kind of melted out like putting butter in a hot pan. I baked and it cures to a shiny, smooth almost glass like finish. No texture at all and feels like there’s zero matting agent, I’ve gotten better texture with thinning medium and glazing gel.

I’m just really angry right now about the bait and switch. I’m still waiting for a reply but there’s no way I’m keeping 50 jars of this stuff!

7 Likes

I ordered several jars, it will arrive on Monday. If this is what I receive I will send it back.

4 Likes

They actually said it was old formula Genesis? I’d send it back. If it’s not what was advertised I don’t think you should have to pay shipping, either.

3 Likes

It did, they have a whole blurb about it being manufactured in 2021 before the GHSP reformulation on the product page.
I’m definitely going to return it, I did send an email this morning to get a return authorization, but haven’t heard back. I also have 3 more orders of the rest of my 50 jars currently in transit. I’m just really angry that they would advertise one thing and send something that’s clearly not what was advertised

6 Likes

I’d be upset, too.

4 Likes

Ugh…:angry:

3 Likes

That really stinks!

2 Likes

I would be too! :rage:

1 Like

Wow! I remember someone else saying a while back they ordered a set of 5 original Genesis primary paints here and a couple of the colors were Pratt paints when they got the set. I wondered then if they were switching out their paints for Genesis on orders why it did not say so on the sales page.

1 Like

Yes, I’d be pissed too! I wonder, I hope someone in the stock room Miss understand the difference in the two and thought they were the same? I certainly hope it was not known to be wrong description. I use Golden, but I read the description when it went on sale and was very surprised, I thought all of the Genesis was long gone!?

2 Likes

Me too! I thought it was maybe an awesome warehouse find or something. I should have known it was too good to be true. The worst part is they don’t refund shipping and I have to pay shipping back so I’ll be out money either way. They still haven’t responded though, and I’m assuming they have to approve before I can just return something?

1 Like

I hope this was a mistake, and they have not willfully pulled a bait and switch on loyal customers who trusted them at their word. If they knowingly switched original Genesis for Pratt varnish, we should be issued refunds without having to return product. In order for us to know whether each jar is real or fake, we have to open them, meaning the product returned is not the same condition as received.

Refund policy

You may return any item within 30 days for a refund. Items returned must be in the same condition as received, and you must pay the return shipping fee (shipping, in either direction, is never refunded unless the return was due to a mistake made by us).

When an exchange is desired, all exchanges are handled as a refund for the original item, followed by a new order for the new item. You can see from that we don’t really do exchanges-- we only do refunds, which leaves you free to reorder whenever you wish, and it gives us a simple, uniform way to handle all returns.

If you return anything, we only need something with the return that identifies the order from which it was purchased. A copy of the order included with the return works well for that, but anything that helps us identify the original order can be used. Once we receive the return, and identify the order that it was purchased from, we will refund the same funding source that was used to place the original purchase.

Our return address is:

Bountiful Baby
2140 South 3600 West
West Valley City, Utah 84119

3 Likes

Sad to read this, I ended up the very same way with #2 Flesh Genesis paint. I ordered two #2 Flesh genesis paints and was sent their brand. I just threw it in my paint drawer. Fortunately, I found a brand new jar so didn’t need it anyway. I thought at the time it was just a mistake and would eat the cost, but now I see it’s not.
I don’t know who is running the business, but it’s not right to switch products.

2 Likes

Omg I didn’t even think about the fact that opening the jars would make them not in the same condition! I did check each jar in this shipment, so I likely won’t be able to return them. But after reading this info I won’t be checking the other 35 jars when they arrive, I’ll just judge by the label :disappointed:

Do you know if you still need prior approval before sending a return? I didn’t see it in their wording, but a few years ago I was denied a refund because I hadn’t contacted them before shipping it back to them.

1 Like

Interesting the jars on the home page ad say Genesis heat set paint in the photo. I was just looking to buy but after reading your comments and what you received I won’t chance it. Thank you ladies. :footprints: :baby:

3 Likes

@bbsupport @BBMelinda hope you get notification on this thread.

3 Likes

Prior approval? Were we asked prior to shipping if we’d accept an inferior product substitute? I don’t think we should be expected to return, refunds should be automatic. I’m very upset to think BB would pull a stunt like this. I keep hoping your shipment was a mistake and that the rest will be fine. I’ll find out tomorrow when mine arrives.

2 Likes

Good to know because I was thinking about getting some titanium white Genesis because I use it a lot in neutralizing my orange vinyls. But definitely won’t chance it. Yuck.

2 Likes

I have some of the old-new stuff. I got desperate a while back and got a couple from BB. I assumed it was from the batch that Genesis was experimenting with when they were having a hard time getting resins.

I took the couple small containers and put them in a larger container, mixed them all up really well. It was sticky kinda like silicone but I added thinning medium and a little thinner (solvent) until it was almost like a thick wash, I sponged it on and it was fine, I do bake my sealing layer twice.

Not sure if this is helpful. I am sure BB will refund, they may have some of the old new and the found old stuff mixed up?

1 Like

Just got my order of 10 jars, and they swapped it for pratte paint as well! I sent an email that I was shipping them right back and that I didn’t think it fair to make me pay return shipping for items I didn’t order.

8 Likes