Babyclon, Yep I am talking about it

It has been the Tea Talk on Youtube. Just wondering if they are still banned from the ROSE Doll Show @bountifulbaby . I see they have won a few awards. Have they changed their ways? Anyone know?

2 Likes

Who is talking about them on you tube?

1 Like

Will send you a PM. With all the shenanigans going on about the prices of silicone dolls people are looking for a more affordable price while still getting a decent doll so Babyclon is naturally going to come up in conversation. I just want to know if we should still avoid them or if the company is changing and doing their own thing now. Is it time too give them a chance? If you get a doll from there will everyone hate you, lol?

1 Like

As long as itā€™s from the same lady, no, you shouldnā€™t buy from her. She has no shame or guilt for what sheā€™s done and she boasts about stealing sculpts and thereā€™s nothing we can do about it.

7 Likes

Company is ran by the same woman as always, and they are still not welcomed in the community by anyone Iā€™ve spoken to.
All of their ā€œsculptsā€ are pieces of real artist sculpts they just string togetherā€¦
They had their awards stripped from them at ROSE when they were banned

4 Likes

Thanks for replying @ttulsajess @SouthernLullabies everyone needs to understand why people will not buy from them now. The 2015 incident was a while ago and it needs to be understood a little bit more. They have won for best sculpture and an honorable mention. Would you be able to win such prizes with copied sculpts?

2 Likes

From what i have seen they get sneaky thinking the public doesnā€™t know details of sculpts. So they use one artists head. Another aculpts arms and another sculpts legs.

I donā€™t follow them but i so remember them trying to prove they sculpt the dolls. And showing photos of clay over a vinyl head like we wouldnā€™t notice.

I would personally never do business with them.

4 Likes

I only really follow reborn ā€˜newsā€™ on here, so am not aware of any new drama. But I know they stole sculpts and Iā€™m my mind that makes them untrustworthy for ever.

6 Likes

No drama just conversation as to why they are frowned upon and has anything changed. It is hard to understand if you werenā€™t around when this all started.

1 Like

I am not sure what is hard to understand about the fact that they have repeatedly copied sculpts and mixed them around with others parts to create a baby that they claim to have sculpted themselves. The awards were given before anyone realized what they were doing. Once they started getting well known from their awards and attention in the public then artists recognized their copied work. Until then I think they were able to fly under the radar. Of course, there are always those who do not care about the lack of integrity there and continue to support them because they want a cheaper silicone. That is why they are able to continue. They have not changed. They are not welcome in the community by anyone who cares anything about the purity of this art form.

8 Likes

I was around when it all went down, but I thought maybe some new stuff had been going on.
I think most people still feel the same way about them.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t heard of them either until this post. Iā€™ll look it up! Wow. I was wondering why Bonnie Brown posted a comment regarding stealing.

3 Likes

The bonnie incident apparently happened recently when a artist/sculptur who has been in the community awhile/in sculpting groups and such was caught (then admitted and apologized) using Greysons arms on ā€œherā€ new sculptā€¦

5 Likes

Since Iā€™m new to this, Iā€™d never heard of them before this post either.

1 Like

I am glad you brought that up. I learned a little on FB about a well known artist who used another sculptors (sculpt) hands to complete her silicone sculpt. (this isnā€™t a Babylon issue but it reminded me). I guess she got called out and made a public apology after admitting that she had done it and wasnā€™t sure why she did. We know she can make hands, I am guessing it was a time saver? Not cool, but I do respect that she did admit it and did make a heartfelt apology. I think at the end of the day this is really between her and the other (very well known) artist to work out, that is were the real apology means something, and we all need to respect what they decide to do and how they decide to move forward.

All the anger isnā€™t helpful, people make mistakes.

I am wondering if this is bringing up the Babylon stuff?

I know they are trying to push all the animatronicsā€¦

I watched a promotional video they made around the time of the AVI release and I think (not 100% sure) that the software they were using may have been what you use to piece together things that you have scanned. The video has been removed from the website and I canā€™t find it on You Tube. I wish they would have been honest. The babies they make donā€™t come close to that AVI, there is nothing similar, and they seem to have several artists sculpting.

They are in Spain (?) maybe things are done differently there, I donā€™t know.

What is really under my skin is the steep hike in silicone kit prices! MY GAWD, even Mcph. is charging a lot more than they were last year.

Has silicone in general gone up in price? Like double or triple? I have six gallons, it may be worth trading with someone.

Edit to add: I am a big fan of Bonnie Brown and not trying to downplay the incident, I just think it is between the two of them to work out. For the rest of us it is a good teaching moment.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for your responses. People need to know that nothing has changed. And new collectors and painters need to know about these things. I didnā€™t know when I started and am pretty sure there is a post from a few years ago about me asking about them as I was excited when I saw the babies. But everybody told me not to get excited and explained why. I love the wealth of information that our seasoned reborners give us. This will help so many. The price of Babyclon babies seems to be the reason that so many turn to them.

Throughout history people have stolen things from each other. I was curious as to why the Babyclon topic was so intense. It seems that this scam and stolen reborn art thing will not go away. That is part of the reason that my heart just isnā€™t in it like it used to be. I hope there will be a better reborning future if I decide to paint again on a regular basis. I wish Babyclon the best and hope that one day honesty will kick in. As there should be a place to buy a reasonable priced nice silicone baby for those that want one. My art skillz arenā€™t that good nor do I have the money or I would attempt it. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I think it just comes down to whether you care about integrity. Babylon and the artist who copied Bonnie Brown have none. I donā€™t care how much she apologizes.

10 Likes

When I read she only went to Bonnie and confessed when someone told her that Bonnie was onto her and that she only apologized when Bonnie asked for a public apology then in my mind that is not very genuine. We are talking about something that was done deliberately. Not accidentally. I just canā€™t get how anyone can justify that kind of thing, feel sorry for them or not care that they are stealing from the livelihood of others. Just because you can buy a silicone cheaper from Babyclon and you want one and canā€™t afford a decent legitimate one does not make it good enough reason to do so. You wouldnā€™t go buy stolen electronics for your home just because they are cheaper so why should this be any different?

4 Likes

I think when Cristina said she would continue copying sculpts because her buyers didnt care she bit the hand that feeds her and I will never recommend anyone to do business with that company.
She has married in the last few years and is now Cristina Jobs (last I heard)

7 Likes

I was wondering who Christina Jobs was.

1 Like