Any updates?

Has any of you had any updates on genesis heatset varnish? Oh how I wish they would get it back in stock!

2 Likes

My stash is getting dangerously low :sob::tired_face:

1 Like

From what I have been told by someone who works for one of the companies that sells their products: The freeze that happened in February last year killed all the crop of whatever it is they use to make the polymers out of for the products. They are hoping that this year’s crop does not get frozen and if it does not then they will be able to go back to producing the products once they harvest whatever it is they need. I never got what crop exactly it is but that is as much as I know and that it affects both heat set and air dry products because they all have polymers in them. If any of you have noticed, Golden Polymer Matte Varnish is out of stock everywhere too.

6 Likes

Mine also🥲

I wonder if they use soy or corn.

Jackson’s had originally said it would be in stock Jan 28 now it says 4/3/22

And Amaco had said Feb, but now it’s pushed out again!

I ordered a small container from Mac’s and it’s completely ridiculous. It’s the tiniest amount in the bottom, not even 1/4 full!

2 Likes

I had my doubts about Amaco resuming production and products becoming available in February. I live not far from them and had seen no evidence of this occurring. I am painting with air dry right now to get in the groove for working with acrylics as I am almost totally out of matte varnish and pretty low on thinning medium, thick medium, and some colors too.

2 Likes

Can thick medium be thinned to use instead of Matt? Can Glaze by mixed with Matt to get the equivalent of Satin? I have Matt and Glaze and Thick and thinning medium, but I prefer Satin…

1 Like

Me to I’m paying ridiculous prices for a tiny amount!

1 Like

All my thick medium is very very glossy. Are you completely out of satin? I have some extra I can send you.

Isn’t thick medium the product that is supposed to be the paint with no pigment added? I know one of them is…
I am doing fine painting with Genesis and citrus thinner and then sealing with my own air dry sealer mix. I freely admit that Genesis Matte varnish thinned down with some Satin and/or thinner is a nicer option but you gotta do with what you have available.

Thank you… not completely out of satin yet… just exploring options… I have used straight matte, but I prefer the feel of the satin.

I’ve noticed the petite jars of thinning medium are super runny also.
I mixed it with thick medium and it didnt cure right.

2 Likes

Well if you start running really low just send me a pm with your shipping address and I’ll be happy to send you a jar. I have several large jars and I rarely use satin. I’m pretty sure you sent me neck adapters that I desperately needed and couldn’t find anywhere several years ago, so I’m happy to pay back the favor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The “thick” looks like the “matte” to me as far as consistency is concerned, but is definitely shiny
(Thick on the left)… guess I need to get out a test limb…

1 Like

I’ve been practicing with air dry. I Have to get over my Genesis addiction because the quality is becoming terrible and now they are so hard to find.

3 Likes

I would definitely do a test limb, because although my thick medium might as well be high gloss varnish, other people here have batches that are matte or satin. I think it depends on the batch, as I bought all my jars at the same time from the same place, so they are probably the same lot.

2 Likes

My thick medium is super thick and rough if pounced on. Plus it doesnt pounce on well… it comes back off with the next pounce

pisses me off and I bought a big tub of it. :frowning:

2 Likes

No consistency :frowning:

I find that it is kind of shiny alone. I actually mixed it with matte to use for skin texture. I think that you might be able to mix it with matte and get something similar to satin if you get it the right ratio and pounce it smooth enough.

2 Likes