Am I underpricing?

I’ve had a friend tell me she thinks I’m underpricing my dolls. I sell my dolls for around $250. I’m including pictures of my dolls and would appreciate your thoughts. I’m just afraid if overpricing and looking arrogant.

3 Likes

I think many of us have difficulty pricing our own work and no problem helping other people price theirs. I’d price this baby a minimum of $350. I had one baby I priced high because I didn’t really want to sell her and figured that way I could keep her around a little longer. She sold in 48 hours.

3 Likes

Pricing is hard for everybody, is it too High, is it too Low, check out Reborns.com for babies of similar skill level and see what they are pricing at. I think this baby would benefit from more crease work and definition between fingers and toes, that would bring you a better price. Price at what you are comfortable with, as you improve you can elevate your price. Everyone struggles with this.

6 Likes

I feel like $250 is appropriately priced :heart: However, it’s up to you how you’d like to price your work :heart:

5 Likes

It might just be these pix… But it’s hard for me to see much paint on this reborn. And does it have eyelashes?

2 Likes

Definitely the lighting if you don’t see paint.The doll actually has pretty okay depth in person. And I didn’t so eyelashes on her. Reasons Are,my niece was very blonde, and she was born with eyelashes, but they fell out within the week and took months to grow Back in. I also several pairs of applied lashes on her and they all looked odd with her pale hair. If she won’t sell, I’ll try keeping a pair on her. I’m just not comfortable rooting lashes on awake babies at this time.

1 Like

@EmOh

1 Like

I tried this on eBay and it’s so so hard, beacause there are some selling for $200 and some for $500. Again, it’s up to opinion. My problem is, I’m just afraid of looking too proud of my own work. I’d prefer not to take her apart because she already has glass beads in her. If she won’t sell, I’ll try it out though. And I’ll definitely work more on creases in future babies!

1 Like

Try selling on reborns.com. I think the odds of selling are better than eBay.

3 Likes

On reborns.com it’s much easier to tell the difference between a $200. doll and a $500. doll.
Pricing on eBay is all over the place.

4 Likes

Prices are all over the board on reborns.com, too, because of different skill levels, but at least you can find the real reborns.

1 Like

Kind of. I think it does show more the you get what you pay for theory. It’s usually pretty obvious how much better a reborn is likely to look if your budget is higher.
Maybe when you’re looking at the higher end dolls it’s harder to tell the difference, say $700- $1200. Those could look much more similar with a more interchangeable price point.
But on the low end, narrowing down your search by just a few hundred dollars makes a pretty drastic change.

2 Likes

Your blushing on the feet is beautiful.
That said. I think 250$ or so is a fair price for her. How long have you been reborning? I only ask because the finer details like eyelashes and such come with time. And bravery. Lol.
You have a great starting point. And as your skills increase your price will too.

3 Likes

Very true, and you can find dolls equal to your skill level and see what other people are charging.

2 Likes

So you paid $60.00 just for the kit without shipping
You then had to buy a body, eyes, polyfill, glass beads, magnet (if you did one) glues paints (even if you already have them you have to figure in the costs of ALL your supplies. So easily in supplies you have at least $150.00 if not more. so then take your left over $100.00 how many hours did you work on the baby? If you break it down that way you can see what your expenses are and figure how much you need to make in profit or to get paid for your time.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Wanted to add these pics in daylight this morning to see if it showed her mottling better. My camera isn’t very good so I’m not sure if it will show anything :joy::joy:.

I was really trying to go for a pale look to match the blonde hair, and unfortunately I don’t know a way to do that besides lots of extremely thin layers. I’ve tried using very light flesh paint (07-08) but have never gotten good results with any type of flesh.

3 Likes

These are better pix.

This right here!! @lastingmemories :+1:

My opinion is underpricing effects the whole market and other sellers as well. Kinda like the cheap knock off kits. If you are selling cheap someone might think there is something wrong with the doll.

As a forum we should create a standard. Nothing cheaper than $350 because if the cost of materials and time involved. Then let people adjust from there depending on details. All painted hair is not created equal nor is rooted hair. So it makes it hard but this way customers can see the difference in quality… maybe. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Would be nice if say we had a menu
Kit $100
Open eye = add $50 for acrylic includes cost of eye & time & effort installing and lashes on open eye.
Glass eye add actual cost of eyes
Sleeping with applied lashes = +$25 rooted + $50
Hair = painted OR rooted $100
Intricately painted hair ala @Alypants
Rooted hair = add cost of hair + $100 for basic rooting. No complicated patterns.

• additional $100 for well done monorooted complicated patterns = loops and swirls throughout ala @quiltsabunch
    Nails should go by French manicure =. -$50 cause that’s a beginner mistake lol!

Paint job
Creases = $25
Blended creases +$10
Multi color blended creases +15

Mottling = $25
Blended mottling =+$25
Multicolored blended mottling =+25

Undertones =$25
Blended undertones =+25
Multicolored blended undertones =+25

Any visible build up or gritty paint =-50
Visible vinyl -50 per limb

This should be regardless the size of the kit mini through newborn.

Toddlers add $50 per limb and additional $100 for hair

I’m just tossing out thoughts here and general prices and concepts but it would be nice to have a set agreed upon standard

Anybody want to do the math??? Lol

5 Likes