Am I underpricing?

I think that this is wonderful because to the collector, we might not understand what things cost, or everything that goes into reborning a sculpt, and things like that. I’m sure it would help the artists as well.

1 Like

I think it would be very difficult to have a ‘standard’ for pricing. There is Too many differences in how people work and the results of that work. I believe everyone should price according to their ‘skill level’ and ‘conscience’. If you truly believe your doll is worth what you price it at, then stick with that price and wait for a sale. If your baby doesn’t sell in a reasonable amount of time you can always lower the price and see how that works for you. If you are a highly skilled reborner then you are probably making pretty good money on your babies already. Only YOU (whoever you are) can price your dolls and be comfortable with what you choose.

8 Likes

That’s the problem though. I’ve seen beginner babies that are almost bare vinyl with sharpie hair and eyebrows selling for $500!!! Idk if they are ever actually sold but then I see gorgeous babies for sale for $250 because people under value thier time. I’ve noticed when you sell cheaper you get nit picky people too vs when you price higher. That’s not just for dolls but I’m using my photography as an example. When I charged cheap for a full cd of digital images I had people asking me for discounts. When I stopped and started selling prints and had a session few people started to see the value of the product and I made more money, had less people asking for discounts, less no shows, less special requests. Shorter sessions. Better dressed clients and more referrals.

Not saying that all people looking for deals are out to scam you or treat you like crap but they are used to disposable dollar store type things and really aren’t interested in long term investments and might not care about the art but more the novelty… or what they get out of it.

I agree it’s hard to set a standard because it is art and art is subjective but it would be nice to have those who care to use quality supplies that are known to last and use them to create beautiful
things be paid accordingly. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Holy smokes you’ve really thought things out.

3 Likes

Not really I was just pulling numbers outa my :peach:head as I typed but I do think there needs to be a starting point like this

3 Likes

IMO $250 for that doll is underpriced. That price would be solid a year or two ago, but current prices went up significantly. I still say that that price rise was based on people getting COVID stimulus and I am not sure how long those prices will last. But look that total cr@p sold on Reborns in $200 - $300 range now. And I am not saying that everything is cr@p in that price range as I see many beautiful dolls sitting there in that price range unsold, so don’t take me wrong.
I truly never understand buyer’s choices. But I also don’t understand artists logic when they overpriced the doll and keep it sitting on Reborns month, after month, after month… After a 5 month of Reborns membership you already out of $100, so wouldn’t it to be wiser to list it lower and sell right away? I don’t have recommendations, I just talking to myself outloud. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I appreciate your thoughts anyway!

1 Like

Why the rush to sell tho? Waiting doesn’t lessen the value of the doll. I would rather wait for what I want price wise then lower it Just because it doesn’t sell right away.

I had a doll listed for 3 years. Years.
She sold for over 900$ to a tv studio. There’s nothing wrong with holding out

1 Like

Unless you really need the money to buy more reborning stuff! :wink:

3 Likes

3 years is 36 month, even if you paid just $10 a month it’s $360 in membership (or more with current pricing).
If you have lots of dolls in your nursery to sell than waiting might work, but if I have 1-3 and keep paying for membership I would rather to price them lower and sell - that is my logic.

3 Likes

I find this interesting as I never have sold a baby. It is interesting because I have never put the thought into cost. It is nice to see all these comments. I appreciate artists more.

3 Likes

I also think a lot of it has to do with ‘perceived value’. If something is underpriced, people tend to believe that there must be something wrong with that item. Of course this doesn’t apply to everyone, every time. If something is overpriced it could possibly have the opposite effect-people can think that they are getting something really special because of the high price. Again, this is not always the case.

4 Likes

Eh. I just dont list anything unless I have more than one.
But I have totes of supplies so I make 2 at a time and list them together. Makes it more cost effective.

4 Likes

When I see a poorly done doll sell for too much money the little voice in my head always chimes in with, “Some people have more money than sense…”

5 Likes

I think the price of reborns going up will continue at least from now until the holidays are over.

2 Likes

Yes, the first year when I just started, I didn’t know if my babies will sell, so I prepaid silver membership for a year. I was able to sold everyone fairly quickly. Then the second year (which is now) when Dave increased the price, plus I stopped painting as much, I only paid membership for one month, sold 4 babies and 3 weeks and now planning to post the new batch around Xmas. Lots of people do that. I just was too new last year to know :wink:

3 Likes