A mouse is fixin to die in my house! Hes moved into my craft room~

Ok ladies, I am not only in shock but totally locked and loaded for a mouse whom seems to think hes gonna take up residency in my house in my craft room. I just went downstairs and low and behold on my table a mouse had a feast with my sponges that I had just got done using last weekend. Chewed up pieces all over my table. I hope he swells up and croaks. He even tried to take off with them. Nasty little beast. We have never found one in the house, in the garage we have trapped them. We live on the edge of town and have farm fields all around us. Needless to say my Simease best be stepping up to the plate. We put a couple traps down with peanut butter so hopefully the cat either gets him or the traps do. This gal and mice donā€™t get along especially in my doll room. I never knew a mouse would eat a sponge!!!

5 Likes

OH MY, Itā€™s a good thing he didnā€™t try a limb :open_mouth: I had similar thing happen about a year ago. The mouse chewed on a baby medicine dropper that I had as a prop, he chewed on the bulb part of it. I was so mad, I did catch him the same way you intend on doing. They usually come back for more, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll catch him, good luck

1 Like

Dee, thats the first thing I grabbed was my doll limbs. I had them laying on a TV tray I use for cooling my parts so they werenā€™t on the table thank goodness. I was amazed at the sponge let alone a dropper. I guess that shows they like to chew on anything. I know one thing when he comes back hes stepping into a very dangerous terriority. If he has a friend I hope he brings him too, cause theres a party just waiting. LOL!!!

4 Likes

The mouse was probably not eating the sponges, though maybe. My guess is that SHE is making a nest so you better get her before you have little mousies all over the housie. They cut the field behind my house once when I lived in CA, and we got infested with the darn little buggers. We won, but it was a long hard battle. At one point you could set a trap, go sit down, and within minutes it would go off and weā€™d do it all over again. They were field mice and the house was a rental and had gaps under the garage door. Iā€™ve come up in the world!

4 Likes

Helen, I was hoping you would say he was eating it, the darn thing seriously tried to take off with the sponge cause not only was it chewed it was also drug across the table. So more then likely you are very right. The little beast was trying to take it to its home. I had the door closed to my room but tonight its gonna be wide open and hopefully my cat will have some fun. I certainly hope it was a he and he has no girlfriend.!!! LOL!!

1 Like

From time to time, we would have a mouse ā€œmove inā€. Weā€™d set traps. Voila. Problem solved. Then, one year, we had a mouse explosion. I have no idea why. We were setting traps all over the house. We even called an exterminator. Nothing helped. I love cats, but I was afraid our dog, a WHF Terrier, would not accept cats. He had been my dadā€™s babyā€“an only child. LOL!! I inherited him, when my dad died. Plus, the breed does not get along well with cats. WHF Terriers will catch mice, but this was too much even for Sparky. I decided that Sparky was just going to have to learn how to live with cats. We got Sadie and Isabella in 2000. Sadie was almost three-years-old and Isabella was six months. Both have proven to be expert mousers. We still have both kitties. We have not seen a mouse, since. Wait!! I take that back. We do allow Sadie to go outside, because her first owner let her go in and out. Sometimes, she brings me a dead one she caught outside.

3 Likes

I would have to agree with the assumption that ā€œsheā€ is making a nest with the sponges and anything else she finds. Is your mohair in a Tupperware or something air tight and durable. I would worry that she would find that nice and soft for nest material.

My parents live in the country and have always fed the stray cats in order to keep them close to the house and killing the mice. I saw a documentary that said that cats learn to catch mice from their mothers. If they are not taught they donā€™t have the skill. The wild cats were very good at catching, killing and actually eating the mice.

My dad used to file the trigger part of the trap to a point, so it would go off at the slightest touch. Some of those field mice were clever enough to lick the peanut butter off and get away without setting off the trap. My dad laughs at me because I consider those old fashioned wooden traps to be completely disposable. There is no way I am prying that mouse out and reusing the trap! It goes in the trash right along with the mouse!

2 Likes

I did rescue some field mice one time. I had left the bin open on my horseā€™s oats and five, yes five, little field mice had climbed in and had a feast. As the bin was almost empty it became a perfect little mouse trap. They could get in, but they couldnā€™t out. When I came out to feed in the morning, there they were. Five little pairs of eyes looking up at me and were they cute. If any of you do rubber stamping you probably remember the adorable little mice rubber stamps that were very popular some time back. They looked just like them. I took the whole bin way out in the field and let them go. They probably came right back but oh well. At least they were in the barn and not in the house. :blush:

5 Likes

When I was a teenager, we got a family of little mice when our neighbors cleaned up their back yard. My dad got the sticky traps. Every time one would get caught, heā€™d scream his little head off. Then my dad walked over with some folded paper towels and squished his head. I felt so bad. One day one got caught while he was at work and wouldnā€™t be home until dinner time. We had to listen to him scream ALL day. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

We have mice plaques here from time to time in parts of Ozā€¦Unfortunately about 4 years ago it came through were we were living. (Country property as well with field all roundā€¦) We had the same thing going on with setting traps and by the time you go one set and were heading for another the first one went off so hubby literally spent the first night of the plaques just doing rounds from trap to trap. Never had problems with mice before so we were unprepared and had to drive about 100+ miles to find a shop that still had rat sacā€¦We bought huge boxes of it and fed them outsideā€¦It kept most of them out and after a couple weeks they were goneā€¦BUT not before one had chewed a few nibbles out of the finger and the calf of one of my silicone dollsā€¦Wahhhhā€¦
So you definitely have sympathy from this corner and wishing you luck in getting rid of the little blighter!..

3 Likes

I lived surrounded by fields as well and one evening I saw this adorable little mouse sitting on the hearth eating a crumb of something (I guess), Well my daughter thought he was so cute and began feeding him on the hearth each day, GREAT, now heā€™s getting very bold and just comes out and sits right there in front of us and eats and looks for more. One day he began inviting ALL his friends over for a party and Lo 'n behold we were infested !! Well we started setting the humane traps and as soon as you set them the little doors would slam shut and we would be off letting them go in the field. Needless to say they kept getting worse so finally had to resort to old fashioned wooden traps. I used to set them and put them in little brown lunch sacks and when they went off I just closed the bag and tossed. I couldnā€™t stand to see them squashed. I canā€™t kill anything!

2 Likes

I do so understand thisā€¦I have to tell you trueā€¦my hubby was as soft hearted as that too ā€¦at least in the beginningā€¦At first when we had the plague he went and bought these cage like trapsā€¦you put bait in them and the mice go in and canā€™t get outā€¦we would get up in the morning and here would be 25 - 40 of them in each trap. We would get in the car and take them about 3 - 4 kilometres up the road and let them go in the bushesā€¦This did not workā€¦so he bought these ā€˜kinderā€™ mouse traps but unfortunately, all they did was maim the miceā€¦they would get a squished nose or arm or tailā€¦it was downright cruelā€¦He would take them off in the car and let them goā€¦his thoughts were that at least they were still aliveā€¦Well that was just great until we started getting these same mice being caught in the traps, they would have half tails, crooked legs or flat noses (they were coming back for more if you can believe itā€¦) I started teasing my hubby and telling him that when his maimed mice passed each other in the field they were saying to each otherā€¦ā€œWell I see youā€™ve been down to the Westies house tooā€ā€¦(Our sir name is West) Finally, he had to resort to putting out the rat sacā€¦unfortunately it was the only way to get rid of themā€¦They are quite cute but they are disease carriersā€¦bit scary reallyā€¦

3 Likes

@westernstarr. We have a cat, so no mice. However, you are right about them being disease carriers, especially their droppings which are quite abundant. One bad disease that comes to mind is Hanta virus which comes from dried mouse droppings that dessicate and become powder and are like dust particles in the air. When my daughter was small, we lived near a field, and in the fall, we would get a field mouse or two. We went the Hav a hart trap route also, only to find that they either came back, or invited their relatives in. We had to use the De Con traps to get rid of them.

3 Likes

LOL! I know it isnā€™t funny but it did make me laugh. So glad you finally got rid of them. :smile:

I didnā€™t know this! Wow!

2 Likes

EEEEKKKKKK I didnā€™t know that eitherā€¦

2 Likes

I lived in the country as a girl so I know a bit of what you are going through. I hope they are all gone very soon.

4 Likes

We live in a nice townhome in the city. Our back patio has a privacy fence all the way around it. We feed the birds and squirrels out there. A few months ago we saw a big field rat out there tooā€¦ he was eating that food so fast lol. Then we started noticing others. So we had to set a trap for them. Think we caught 3 or 4, and I havenā€™t seen one lately. Poor rats and mice. I know they can be a nasty pest but I still hate killing them. I also agree that the mouse was probably building a nest with the sponge.

2 Likes

In Washington there are rats in most places. We trap them and donā€™t feel at all sorry. We canā€™t poison them because our pets occasionally kill one and we donā€™t want them to get poisoned by eating one. They donā€™t get in the house, but we fight them constantly in the garage. You canā€™t put anything soft out there such as styrofoam or pillows or stuffed animals. When they get hungry they eat cardboard boxes so anything stored out there has to be in heavy plastic. We arenā€™t catching any right now and the garage doesnā€™t smell "rattyā€™ so I guess weā€™re currently clear. My labrador is an amazing ā€œratterā€ too. But I know theyā€™ll be back. Itā€™s just life in the country.

2 Likes

Update on my mouse ladies. We caught the darn thing and yes it without a doubt it had a friend. Got it too. I always close the door to my craft room because I donā€™t want my cat messing with anything. Will that has changed, the door is now wide open and he has made his presence known. All seems well now. Just hope we got them before they had babies. Loves the stories ladies!!! Some funny stuff.

1 Like

So glad you got them, Deb! Hopefully, no babies but the cat will take care of that, Iā€™m sure. :wink:

1 Like