You find the strangest things inside some of the dolls

Unwashed rice also has insect larva or eggs present on it. We do not see this stuff when it is fresh and after it is cooked it does not harm us but when it gets old the eggs start to hatch and there will be weevils.

1 Like

Ewww!

Yes, Iā€™ve seen them in old rice bags. I lost my appetite.

this all make me glad Iā€™m just a reborner and not a collector. I know all my dolls have nice, clean glass bead,
polyfill and poly pellets within. If I have to open one up, there are no surprises.I wonder what some of these people would have told you if you had asked what the dolls were weighted and stuffed with? Do you think they would tell the truth?

3 Likes

Good question! Probably not, though, because I doubt they think anyone will ever open them.

2 Likes

They most likely would have dodged the subject with something like ā€œall natural materialā€ ā€¦lol

3 Likes

Love itā€¦you are probably right.

I pulled one apart a few years ago and it had large lead fishing line sinkers in the head and a sandwich baggie with aquarium gravel and large glass marbles in the bodyā€¦I kinda wondered if the family owned a fish and tackle shop or maybe a pet shop and she just did some reborning on the sideā€¦ha!

6 Likes

Luck!

If you do, let us know what you find.

2 Likes

Laughing My Arse Off

That sounds fishy! Lol

4 Likes

Iā€™m thinking that some of this stuff isnā€™t any cheaper than the good glass beads (unless itā€™s rocks from your neighborā€™s landscaping), which leads me to believe that all of these things were probably used for their intended purpose and are now being recycled. The thought of digging fish rocks out of my 20 gallon tank and reusing them in a doll just makes me want to hurl! That is just disgusting!

Now I understand why some people go into detail on what is actually in their dolls. Apparently, itā€™s a selling point to have good quality, sanitary weighting material in your dolls. Can you imagine if we had ā€œTruth in Reborningā€ laws - I weighted this adorable doll with rank smelling fish rocks, fresh from my aquarium and lovingly stuffed her with recycled polyester fiberfill from an old dog bed. Sheā€™s also hand rooted with real human hair that I pulled out of the shower drain!

Iā€™ve got to stop. Iā€™m grossing myself out! :speak_no_evil:

11 Likes

I am laughing so hard my sides hurt. I had to read this outloud to my family. So funny!

1 Like

Yea!!!

1 Like

I have three dolls I purchased before beginning my own reborning. I am going to take them apart this weekend and see what was used.

1 Like

I was recently given 3 reborn dolls to ā€œrehabā€. The limbs were very heavy and as hard as a rock. I knew that I was going to have to take them all apart. The first 2 dolls, which were purchased by the same person on ebay, had sand, like garden sand, in the limbs and in a nylon in the head. It was disgusting and it didnā€™t smell very good. The third doll had dry peas and beans in the limbs. I have a customer that took apart a doll and it was filled with kitty litter.
Iā€™ve never used anything in my dolls except for tiny glass beads, plastic poly pellets and poly-fil. I have heard of reborners purchasing sand at Hobby Lobby, which Iā€™m assuming is clean and doesnā€™t contain any bugs so it can be shipped overseas. I canā€™t believe the lengths that people will go to just to save some money. In my opinion, those are the greedy, money hungry types.
Iā€™m not trying to bash anyone and their reborning techniques, b/c everyone does things differently, but certain things just shouldnā€™t be used inside of a vinyl doll that people spend good money on. :smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to learn things the right way and do them the right way, so I learned from a professional reborner who put out a tutorial and class on line. I always use good glass beads and high quality polyfil. I put the beads inside of a good quality brand new nylon stocking, both inside the head and in the body. I use glass beads and polyfil inside the limbs. Never use sand or anything else. Ick!

6 Likes

ROFLOL!!! Hilarious description! And gross! :smiley:

1 Like

My very first reborn was purchased from ebay. I knew he had issues with his hair and paint but I wanted to buy cheap in case the hobby wasnā€™t for me (I love this hobby) When I received him he had a very strong smelling wonder wafer that was giving me migraines and he felt too heavy and had a very hard spot on his back. When I opened him up I found glass beads, still vaccum sealed in the original package in his body! Hard as a rock! Since then I have opened every reborn I have ever bought for inspection. My most recent, and most expensive, doll was purchased on ebay from a seller with great reviews. Her painting is amazing but when I opened her I found sand! Play sand with large rocks and pieces of seashells! Sand dust everywhere!