Wrapping a baby for a photoshoot

I really stink at wrapping my babies in those cute cocoon poses and want to learn some ways to do it so that they look real. Wanting to learn how to wrap them in the blankets and wraps, so that they look cozy and realistic. If you recommend any tutorials or videos for learning, or ones that have really helped you, please share. Thank you!

4 Likes

watching

1 Like

@PhotographyForLife ?

1 Like

:woman_shrugging:t2: Dolls are hard cause uh they are hard :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is the photographer who inspired my search for a baby model which in turn had my husband search and find bountiful baby. I was determined to have a blank silicone before that which I could not find in my budget

She has lots of tutorials and is an amazing teacher and newborn photographer

10 Likes

You are limited by the poses from certain type limbs. Some sculpts work better than others.

1 Like

I stink at swaddling too!! :rofl:

I tuck and wrap and mostly tie and let the ends hang off…

Every time i try to swaddle like a photograoher does its a disaster🤦‍♀️

74FIsW

9 Likes

I think that looks adorable and would so use that in newborn photos :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Key is stretchy knit wraps or jersey fabric stretch pull tight or be creative with delicate flowy fabrics :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Cherie, that’s so cute! She looks like a gift with a bow on.

1 Like

I’ve seen her before and will go check out her channel. Thanks!

Love Kelly Browns style of photography, have been following her for a few years now, she also has tutorials on how to make your own props, I made a heart shape bowl out of pool noodles with one of her tutorials lol turned out great.

As for the wrapping dolls it’s really hard to get them as curled up as real babies, even a kit with bent legs won’t look as real. but you can get it to look as curled up as possible by not attaching the limbs and Instead just placing them in the wrap at the angle you need them, obviously take all those photos first before you assemble the kit for other photos.

4 Likes

Im gonna let you all in on a secret to those perfect babu poses you see some artist’s do.

Leave the baby unassembled.

I wrap the body and then i can place the head arms and legs in any position i want.

Here are some examples.

These are all my work. None of them are fully assembled in these pictures.

6 Likes

It’s tricky! Lots easier with a belly plate. Some babies fold up better than others. Sometimes it helps to cover them with a folded blanket and pad where you are going to wrap so it looks smoother. .

13 Likes

I’ve wondered about that when looking at some of the prototypes. I’m going to give it a try.

2 Likes

I hate when they do that. Seems like false advertising to me.

6 Likes

Yeah, I used to think that. But maybe it’s not so bad just for posing, kind of similar (maybe) to using props in photos that are not part of the sale. I don’t know. I think if I were to fold the assembled legs upward along the side of the body and the arms inward and put a thin blanket around the baby and then use a wrap on it, that may help them look more bundled in.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing! Your babies are so lovely!

2 Likes

As lovely as they are I personally think buyers want to see how it looks in a car seat/stroller/crib to see if it looks realistic so pictures of it just laying natural helps it sell but that’s just my opinion x

3 Likes

While it might look cute I actually hate when artists do that. That is deceiving to me. Customers who buys those dolls might think that they can do that cute pose, but no such luck with limbs attached :frowning:

2 Likes

Jinx!

2 Likes

Oh I agree, I was just saying how it could be done easier, I prefer the babies to just look like they are sleeping in a natural pose x

3 Likes