With my own eyes!

I agree to disclose any composant of the “piece of art”. It’s the term “standard” that I desagree with.
As far as I am concerned, that’s finally up to the buyer to decide what he judge acceptable. If a buyer dont’t bother to have aquarium gravel in is doll, so why not !

I use glass beads and soft polyfill in the dolls I sell. Because it seem to be a standard. I don’t know why.
My keepers, I use quartz pool filter sand, clean and new, more easy to find here locally.

The final value of a doll is what the collector is ready to pay for, not the cost of the material, cheap or expensive.
If we want to apply this rule of cost ×2 etc…, it’s not art anymore, but craft. Like my crochet accessories. …

2 Likes

When you think about it sand is glass beads LOL just not liquefied and cooled yet :smile:
Now don’t get mad it is meant as a fun thought .

3 Likes

I love discussion :grin:

1 Like

Think that is my new description of what is in my babies right now liquefied cooled sand :roll_eyes:

1 Like

If you want to use sand , write : not liquefied and cooled glass beads. …:neutral_face: not sure people will catch it tho ! :grinning:

1 Like

No No NO it should read not liquefied nor cooled glass in its raw state . :wink:

1 Like

Been fun @Leabelle but gotta go do some mundane household chores :cry:

1 Like

wow i hope they are clean at least
how can you make a cuddle soft body with rocks

Standard meaning, what is ‘known’ to be inside of the cloth body, making up the body components, as per most quality artists use. Standard meaning, what most artists’ use inside the body, is known to be ‘safe’ and the general public assumes, when buying a doll, the body components are made up of what is used by most elite artists and is safe. With that said, i feel you are speaking about color palette, type of paint, how you paint, what you create. If that’s so, then yes, I don’t go by any standards. I create my own unique type of dolls and simply don’t go by what others’ deem as standard. It’s a reason I don’t take custom orders. Unless I missed something, I think we are simply discussing body components that are known to be safe vs body components that it is unknown if they are safe, and the customer not being notified that there are different materials in the body, that aren’t widely used by professional artists. If an artist chooses to use a material or substance inside the body that it is not known whether or not it’s safe, that very well should be in the description.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right, but the problem is that sand, any kind of sand is not allowed to ship internationally. If anybody takes the doll out of the country and i will get checked, at the customs the moment the and is detected, the doll will be ripped apart and who ever is sending/ taking the doll o/s will be fined. Just because you did not sell this doll, or because you ave no intention of selling your keepers, does not mean that sometimes in the future you or somebody else is not going to sell it.

The law is simple, NO sand or soil because they could contain pathogens that could threaten other countries’ agriculture . It would be too difficult to try to establish which sand is clean enough and which is not. It is the melting process at high temperature that burn off any organic material and kills any microbes.

2 Likes

I know, wright ? That’s why I put glass beads in dolls I sell !
Dolls I keep was thoses I mess and give to my daughter.

Just want to say that "standards " for me seem strange. If I put, exemple, memory foam in my doll instead of polyfill, it’s not standard, but it’s safe and clean.

1 Like

@ludmila, I know about the sand regulations but how do you suppose Ashton Drake dolls get sold as the contain sand? At least the one I bought to redo did. I’m just wondering about the difference. Could it be because they are shipped by a large company?

I imagine that would be because they are factory produced, so they might have some sort of permit or certification. I do not know, but imagine hand made craft thing are in different category.

1 Like