Wholesale Site

The way i read it…he is tired of having to report the taxes that WE pay him…he has to keep track and report to every state…this the the same with any company who offers sales outside of their own state. ANY company…

6 Likes

That’s my understanding of resell too., I don’t understand his decision. A resale business would buy kits to resell them ? This sound confusing. I guess artists will need to provide a business number (I don’t know how you call it in the US) to be able to buy in his wholesale site ? But not if you are in an other country ?
I don’t understand a thing of that announcement I am afraid :flushed:

@cherielynn09 yep. Seems lazy to me

3 Likes

We have a little business and sell on amazon…you think ebay fees are bad…:rage:

Anway…my son wants to start our own website. Which will be way harder and wont be near the exposure of amazon…not sure it will work… but guess who the tax reporting duties will fall too?? Me…:woman_facepalming::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Unless you sell hundreds of items on amazon… you will never make any money…:nauseated_face:

3 Likes

I am nervous about this too. I am a beginner artist and have not yet sold any of my reborns. I am also considering selling some from my personal collection. With this new tax thing, I don’t know if I would be able to sell :frowning: and now the wholesale site thing from Bountiful Baby. I don’t know if I would be able to even afford some of the kits to paint without BB’s discounts. I don’t know what I’ll do. :frowning:

1 Like

Oh, that sounds very complicated. Glad I don’t live in the US and only make reborns for myself.

Usually wholesale means buying items by bulk. I do not know of many artists that buy reborn kits in bulk. I have a huge stash but no time to work on them. Have spent the last week doing major renovations. We do the work ourselves. But even when i was doing this full time i would not be able to buy bulk.

7 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, too. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone buying kits/supplies in bulk.
I get that they mean most people will sell some dolls for profit, but it kinda sounds like it’s for factories or something, rather than individual artists.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s for when people purchase the kits in bulk when they are on sale then they resell the kit for retail pricing. I’ve seen lots of people do this on eBay and Etsy :heart: I’m not sure, but I’m thinking this is why they are making the wholesale website…like Sam’s Club or Costco lol

2 Likes

That’s what I thought at first, but it’s not clear.

1 Like

Where is that article about the website?

The BB homepage :heart:

I don’t think everyone is expecting BB to foot any bill so anyone can make a profit. I also don’t think the hobbyist vs business argument is the issue either . There ARE people here who reborn for pleasure and don’t sell them and I totally understand those people being upset that they are being told they can never participate in a sale purchase here on the new site.
EDITED TO ADD that while I DO sell dolls and I do report my taxes I feel I am personally more of a hobbyist than a big business in terms of my profits on my sales. However, yes it is true according to the tax laws I do fall under a business category albeit I make very little money if any when it is all done.

Everyone here who has not been filing taxes for their past sales is well aware they are going to have to now as well. That is not the issue here as I see it. The issue is that we are being told we have to maintain a resell liscense to purchase anything from the BB sales. As you have pointed out, we are not purchasing items to resell them. We are either making a doll for pleasure or to sell. Sometimes we do end up reselling from our stock but I know for me that was never my intended purpose when I bought the kit. It is usually the result of no longer wanting the kit or needing to downsize for new kits etc.

Either way, I am in the camp that will sit back and see how all this plays out. If I am not allowed to buy anything on sale then I will be looking at other places for sales before I come here to buy something at full price with or without taxes.

7 Likes

Exactly. Everyone has been hurt financially over the last two years. Can you imagine if you received messages from potential reborn buyers stating that they are never buying from anyone that doesn’t offer free shipping, discounts, loads of free clothing, etc.?
I suspect that most dealers will be forced to go up $10-15 on kits once the factories set new prices to operate. Everyone has financial responsibilities that should be respected. If you think you can do it cheaper, then open your own company and produce kits.

2 Likes

We also have to remember that it’s not just forum members that are BB customers.

2 Likes

The funny thing is that many buyers now days do expect free shipping, a huge box opening with extra clothing and send messages asking if the price can be lowered.

Really nothing will change for me. I will keep shopping sales where I can, pay full price when I can’t and pay all my taxes like I always have.

7 Likes

Agree. Sadly, it’s this entitlement mentality that is ruining so many businesses. BB has been gracious in their sales for YEARS. Then, to come onto the business’s FREE forum and complain is simply rude. If someone isn’t going to support their company, why do you think they should be able to use their forum? Seems mighty hypocritical to me.

I did get an answer of FB and yes they confirmed that I was good. Had me worried for a bit, however I have enough kits to last a lifetime. But I do appreciate the no sales tax.

1 Like

I’ve looked all over the BB home page and I’m not seeing any notice. ??

@Kwinker It was removed several hours ago

Perhaps it’s because other dealers buy them too, there is a few dealers in the UK that you can buy BB kits, I’m guessing those dealers buy from BB in bulk and then resell them so perhaps the wholesale site is more aimed at them

4 Likes