Wholesale Site

I certainly hope this won’t effect our ability to be on the Forum. I buy so few kits anywhere, I truly enjoy painting dolls but truthfully I am having a hard time selling even through I believe I have gotten much better. I do not advertise anywhere but Reborns and my prices are low, and I break even at best,no hoarding for me! However there is no way I will be getting a sale license, so I will buy elsewhere and hope my sales improve or I must decide to quit altogether, not something I want to do. I also agree that if I can buy kits elsewhere with the bodies included, the prices are basically about the same as BB.

5 Likes

I have to agree. They just pushed people right into the hands of the counterfeit makers. I personally wouldn’t buy a fake. But i can understand why some would.
This goes directly against tryjng to stop the fakes. Imo

8 Likes

Barb, I agree that this will make more folks buy counterfeit kits. This is not something I would EVER do, but some newer folks may not know or agree that the counterfeits are disgusting…seems like changes may be coming that make me have to quit. Also I believe with the cheaper silicone kits possibly taking over the reborn painting, this is another reason I may have to quit.

4 Likes

This is so disappointing to hear. I’m a full-time student and sell reborns purely for hobby and to help with my school funds. I had been really happy with how things were going with BB, especially with the releases of the silicone Realborns so this is a major let down.

5 Likes

It really makes me sad. I will miss this hobby. I have a decent kit stash of 50 or 60 kits. Maybe 2 years worth at most. Then I’m done I suppose.

4 Likes

NO…they know better…they know we are moatky hobbyists…

5 Likes

TBH, I feel they will try this but I feel it will not work then they will go back to how it is now :heart: I’m not sure, maybe lots of people have sales tax licenses, but I feel like most don’t :heart: Also, if the discounts are really large, then I’d look into getting a license and weighing out of options then, but overall, I do not see this plan yielding profitable results. I feel like BB is trying their best to sustain themselves with creating lots of Realborns then coming out with silicone kits :heart:

2 Likes

Here in Canada we couldn’t afford the kits during the covid since every single parcel was charged with duty on top of course higher shipping fee.( before covid it was a hit and miss ) . it was the same price for a kit to buy from mach persons so couldn’t support BB anymore. Today finally went across border to pick up my BB parcel with discounted kit . Well with the new rule with no discount they lost me and some others forever.
We honestly can’t really sale because of the scammers anyways.

8 Likes

I’m in Toronto, so yes, the duties were brutal. Did you have to provide an androgen test to get back into Canada after you visited the us?

Mn doesn’t really have a business license or sales license for an online business however I do have a sales tax id number. I sell online and at craft shows. I am not sure this will count. It does for the fabric companies I deal with and Joanns Fabrics.

1 Like

I think they’re paying through the nose in taxes, but I don’t understand why they can’t have any sales on the regular website. Even at full price, many of the BB kits are cheaper than other distributors, but it’s been really beneficial to be able to get some at lower cost with the sales. I’m wondering if this is the beginning of transitioning to only silicone Realborns.

5 Likes

A tax ID number should count.

I just read it and it all seems very complicated. But they say you need a resale license which is free in every state.
I’m not in the US, so I will be able to move over to the wholesale website.
I barely understand what’s going on but I fear it won’t be good for their business.

2 Likes

Resale license is free…but then you have to reports and pay taxes yourself…which is a pain…and then yearly taxes are no pocnic either.

1 Like

I have read all this and the many comments here and on FB. I too do not have a sales tax ID as I am a hobbyist not a big money making business. (EDITED TO ADD but not according to tax laws I am not talking about that.) We all are already having to scramble to figure out how now to best report anything 1099 over $600 without having to be double taxed. I get his frustrations with that too but his answer seems to possibly only benefit him and a select few. If I am understanding this correctly, those of us who shop on BB now as it is can still shop here the way we always did and get the same products but we just won’t be offered any sales. So one of 2 things will happen. Either the new site will have a deluge of customers and take off and minimize this one OR he will finally figure out that the largest majority of us who spend money here are hobbyists who do not have a resale liscense or plan to get one. Then he will see that sales go down from those who can only afford sale items. I am just like the rest of you that if I cannot get it on sale I most likely will shop elsewhere when it comes to many things. There are a few things I prefer to get here just because I like them and that would be bodies and lashes pretty much but I try to get those on sale. There are other places I can get bodies if paying full price. So yea, this is frustrating and alarming to say the least.

5 Likes

I saw a breakdown where most of the realborns with shipping and bodies, (without discounts) are around $110 dollars. I feel like many sculpted kits are that price or lower, and unfortunately, sculpted kits usually sell better, at least for me :frowning: hopefully bb will figure this out so we can all buy without worry

6 Likes

Perhaps they should have started this plan with a customer questionnaire. They should have found out ahead of time how many of their customers have a tax ID. But it looks like they just assumed. And we all know what happens when you assume. It makes an a$$ of if U and Me. :woman_facepalming:t2:

8 Likes

This is absolutely true! New artists and low budget artists will have very little kit choices now. So a lot of them will go to Amazon. :confused:

2 Likes

Here is some good information to help everyone decide. It looks like you not only have to get a resale certifcate but you will first need an EIN. All this sounds like more than most hobbyists are going to want to deal with.

8 Likes

This is from the IRS An activity is considered a business if it is done with the expectation of making a profit, while a hobby is considered a not-for-profit activity . Everyone that is selling a doll is considered a business not a hobby. You make a profit even if it is just $1.00 Everyone is getting mad at BB but lets face it they should not have to foot the bill and have the overhead so we can make a profit. Unless you are making a reborn to give away for FREE you are not a hobbyist . That being said I am a business but not a Resale Business. that is two different things. or licenses I should say . You can have a business license without a resale certificate. Resale is when you purchase finished goods and resale them. So think about it this way You buy bulk from Ashton Drake you are purchasing the finished doll you then Resale those dolls on your own website. Also. I did have an EIN business number at one time. I ended up getting rid of it and just filing the business under my social security which you can do as well as a business . With the new laws unless you are only taking cash for your dolls you will be filing taxes on the money received.

1 Like