Toddlers Sized Reborn...?

I have 3 different inquiries about doing toddler sized dolls. Cuddles, Hailey, and Belinda by Danielle Zweers. I’ve never attempted dolls that sized. I’m sure it wouldn’t be an issue. But question is where to bake them? I’m sure I wouldn’t have issues with Cuddles and Hailey fitting in my convention oven. Well their heads should fit. I’m not sure about their limbs. I’m not sure about baking them in “cooking” oven. If I use my countertop oven I normally use, I may have to bake one limb at a time lol

i am currently working on tibby i do bake her in the regular oven
and i also have to do a few parts at a time
bake change parts bake change parts
when they cool i turn the parts over and go through the process again
i love working on the toddlers

1 Like

Thank you. So you bake in your regular like kitchen oven or the small convection ovens?

I know there’s all the scare of using your home oven but I’ve been doing it for years.

3 Likes

Thank you all. It shouldn’t be a problem then.

Everyone is going to freakout in my home when I go to use the kitchen oven. I just know it lol Hopefully I won’t have any issues with them fitting in my countertop.

1 Like

I have Tibby coming,should be here on Monday. You still bake at 265 in regular oven, I know that’s a dumb question but I have always used a convection or Ewave to do my parts.

yes i bake her at 265 for 8 minutes like i siad i just do a few parts at a time let cool flip and bake again
and the only dumb question is the one not asked

1 Like

I only bake once each time for painted parts but I bake twice for sealing the vinyl before painting and I bake two or three times for final sealing layer. I use my home oven and clean it before cooking in it.

1 Like

Do you do that with blank vinyl or with a sealer on it?

the reason i bake twice is because one time i baked and the side that was down rubbed off so i turn the parts and bake a second time

1 Like

I seal before i paint and again at the end.

1 Like

Hmmmmm, I use to bake in my regular oven and though I cleaned it, after about a year, I started getting bad headaches, respiratory problems mostly just felt bad all the time…I went and researched it and found that the vinyl gives off a filmy gas that adheres to the surfaces of the oven and when the oven is heated, it releases the gases into whatever is in there. I also read somewhere that there are carcinogens in them that over time can cause some forms of cancer. I have read articles that vouch for it being safe and others that say it is not…so I play it safe and don’t cook vinyl in my regular oven any longer (got a new oven too …just in case…heehee) So really I guess it is up to the reborner what they do…Just a ps though on my health…it improved drastically after about 4 months once I started using a convection oven…Sadly, with some of the toddlers, especially when you go as big as Angelica by Reva Schick you don’t have much choice

3 Likes

I hope nobody thought my previous postings meant that I felt vinyl was safe. I wouldn’t want anyone to get sick because they did what I do. I don’t really think it’s safe, but I do it anyway. I hope that cleaning the oven helps minimize the problem, that’s all. I know I am taking a risk and I don’t recommend that anyone do likewise. (Just a disclaimer)

2 Likes

same here i have a nuwave also but i have to put my toddlers in my reg oven
i wouldnt suggesst using yoru reg oven either but with toddlers you really ahve no choice

2 Likes

Heehee, you are so funny Helen…I hope you never get sick from it either and it probably does help cleaning it afterward… Love your ‘disclaimer’…You’re beautiful…always make me laugh…

4 Likes

I use the regular oven for mine, however I built a rack with 1x1 and dowels. I can put my parts standing on end and bake them all at the same time.I have two skinny dowels,4 fatter and one shorter one for the head, I have been using this for several years and its not hard to make. I’ve never used a pan,works for me.

2 Likes

This is a picture not very good one but you get the idea.

1 Like

The wood doesn’t get too hot or make the vinyl too hot.

Hi, no the wood doesn’t get too hot or the vinyl. I use this rack for all my babies and have used it for 5 yrs. I have never had a problem. I was worried when I first started doing babies about putting a towel on a metal pan to bake a baby, that seemed dangerous to me and I thought how could it cure the paint evenly? Everything heats evenly no turning and no lint from a towel or hot spots. Ihave had no problems but you should do what you are comfortable with. :smiley: