Today is the day!

I’m starting my first baby. I decided to play it smart and choose a much smaller kit. Jennie asleep. This is such a special moment for me and I truly hope I will be able to continue in this hobby. Waiting for the sun to come out a little bit more. Currently 7:32 in the morning and then I will get things started.

11 Likes

Have fun! :heart_eyes: and keep us posted.

2 Likes

I most certainly will! Even if she doesn’t come out exactly how I have imagined in my mind which you never know I’m not going to doubt myself but I’m still going to keep it real it’s a fun experience for me and I will learn from whatever mistakes I make.

5 Likes

That’s a good attitude ! Have fun !

I’ve been doing this nearly 2 years. I’ve never had one come out exactly as I picture them in my mind. But they often turn out better than I imagined. Just don’t get stuck on one vision. Sometimes babies have a mind of their own. Enjoy the process and let your creativity flow. Don’t ever let it become a chore. Make it fun! :heart:

4 Likes

I started my first last night too! So far so good! I’m nervous about being too impatient so I’ve been working in my living room near the TV so I can watch movies as I work. I sat for almost 7 hours working at my coffee table.

Are you using heat set paints or air dry?

3 Likes

How exciting! Mine were first couple fell far short of my ideas, BUT they will be your guide, learning babies that will put you on the road to beautiful babies especially with all the help you can get here on this forum! Have fun!

1 Like

You and I must have started about the same time. I started in March of 2018. But, I have only made 4 babies. None nearly as good as yours. :slight_smile: I am not cutting myself down – I am just able to see that my work is not that of an artist and I am not an artist so that is OK. As long as a person does the best they can, then it is good enough. Anyway, pretty cool. Someone who started around the time I did. 2 or my babies were 10".

2 Likes

Have fun! I am starting a Jennie asleep today as well :slightly_smiling_face: She’s my first Jennie! I started in April and I haven’t been able to stop! I have made 20 babies and each of them have taught me something. I still don’t always get what I plan for, but i am just as excited every time I start a new kit. My suggestion in the beginning is to write down every layer you do, just in case you want to follow that guide again.

1 Like

@Lillysdolls @RosieCait Have fun, ladies! And remember not to hurry, very thin layers, and enjoy the process vs. worry how it will come out at the end. Looking forward to see you WIP pictures.
Keep your first one. It so much fun to look and compare how much you grow.
Great advice from @Alypants to keep your notes. I do it all the time and it helped a lot with each new baby.

My first was completed and sold on February 14, 2018. He’s still my profile picture on here. I don’t even know how many I’ve made. But I do know it took me quite a few before I figured it out. And I still learn something new with each one. :wink:

1 Like

I am glad to hear that it took you a few to figure it out. I have not done that yet, so maybe there is still hope for my babies. :slight_smile: We are in the process of going through the house and either storing or getting rid of a lot of stuff. Then, I will have more room to work on my dolls. So, it is a process for us right now. Getting back in the house after the damage was repaired has been awesome, wonderful, etc., but it is a lot of work.

1 Like

Ok I’m officially hooked. Got the first few layers in many more to go.

5 Likes

@YelenaRey Thank you!! So far isn’t going well! I have to remind myself it’s not a race. I was wondering if it was going well because he just didn’t look realistic to me. Then I blushed him and oh wow. Came alive! That’s when my excitement really kicked in!

I’ve been writing down my paint mixes and how many layers I’ve been doing so I can either repeat it or know where to try varying it. I love how many options there are. I reweighted two dolls previously and noted down how many ounces of glass beads went into the limbs, then the head and body bags. Wrote final weights on individual parts. Hoping it helps when I go to weight similar sized dolls.

2 Likes