Stored kits

Hi!!! Happy Sunday! Question, I have a few kits that I had started but didn’t finish painting. I put them in big plastic zip lock bags for safety. Today I am noticing that they feel… Not really sticky… But can use a wash. Is this normal? How should I go about this? Restart painting, or add a new layer of varnish before I start? Or maybe just a wash with dawn? Please advice!

When you stored them, did you wrap in tissue paper?
Washing them shouldn’t be a problem. Just let them dry completely before painting again.

3 Likes

No! I didn’t know to do that!!! Thank you! Ok, I’ll wash them up and now I know what to do in the future!

1 Like

I didn’t know about the tissue either. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Me, either. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Is that something that should be done?

1 Like

I just remember reading it somewhere on a forum. I like the “cushion” it provides to keep the pieces from rubbing together. I have several heads sent off to get hair painted and I have the pieces wrapped and stored in bags. I label the outside for identification.
It does seem to help with those vinyls that tend to get an oily look to them through time. I know some artists immediately wrap each piece as soon as they receive the kit and do an inspection.

3 Likes

Good to know! I assume white is what’s needed so there’s no color to rub onto the vinyl.

2 Likes

Yes, I only use white.

2 Likes