Should BB revamp Clydes arms?

I took a look at Clyde awakes listing on BB for the first time. Before today I’d always been put off before by the prototype photo they used.

Today I was looking for a specific set of hands and Clydes are just gorgeous! I was about to toss him into my cart (and may still) when I noticed he only has 3/4 length arms. What a shame, as full arms offer so much more versatility in dressing a reborn.

I don’t know the first thing about sculpting, but it got me to thinking that perhaps the upper 1/4 of his arms could be sculpted by BB onto the existing scanned arms. Would the likely increase in sales justify the cost of creating another cast of his arms? I’m sure many people pass on an incredibly adorable kit because of the 3/4 arm issue. My own hesitation in buying him is that 3/4 limb reborns may not sell as well to our customers.

Thoughts?

I don’t think 3/4 limbed babies sell any differently, sure some collectors only want full arms and others don’t care, they want a cute face. I love Clyde and his hands are very cute for sure. He would be even cuter with full arms but I don’t see them doing that unfortunately

2 Likes

I personally love 3/4 arms as the move and pose more easily.

1 Like

The first and only reborn I ever bought had 3/4 limbs. I found it limited the clothing that I could dress her in. I bought a couple of adorable sleeveless rompers and had to use bodysuits underneath. I also ran into the issue of sleeves that were just a wee bit too short, which I didn’t know until after I’d brought the outfits home and tried them on the doll. She wears footed pjs exceptionally well though. :slight_smile:

The clothing bit doesn’t bother me as I make clothes so just sleeves and if I use bought clothing I just add a crochet cardigan that I have made. I’m in the UK so it’s almost always cold enough for a cardigan lol

1 Like

You know, I had never noticed him listed as 3/4 arms. I actually thought all the Realborns had full limbs. Thanks for bringing this up.

2 Likes

Realborn Emma is made the same way, and I’m not sure I will buy her for this reason. I could switch the arms but I actually like her hands.

2 Likes

I know. I adore Clyde’s hands as well… I’m just hesitant to get a 3/4 arm kit.

1 Like

I have sold almost all 3/4 limb babies for the past couple of months because of the Old Kit Paint Party. They have done great for me.

1 Like

That’s great news! Is there much of a price difference in what you get for them compared to the full limb kits?

I’ve made both types in the past. I started reborning back in about 2009 but I make mostly stuff for myself lately or for friends. I haven’t been able to make much lately for health problems in case you were wondering. Until the last few years, 3/4 limbs were the norm in most kits. I never really saw any problems with selling them but the market was much more active then. If I had to choose, I would rather full limbs but if I had to pick one or the other, I’d go with full legs over full arms. That way, the baby can wear a onesie just.

As for BB remaking the arms, it’s just not financially worth it to them. Legally, they might decide that a modified arm probably couldn’t be sold as a Realborn according to their description. Plus the artist would have to make time to sculpt arms for an older kit versus designing a new kit which would sell for more. Most people would just substitute the arms by buying limbs or with another kit if they were keeping the baby. For a baby that you plan on selling, it’s not worth the extra since most buyers will purchase it either way. Lol, yes, it’s the face that sells!

I get less, but it is fair…the kit is cheaper.