Sharing my Mohair processing video on YouTube

Yeah, I’m going through old mail and just came across a catalog. Dan-ger-ous!! Haha :joy: They have the cutest white clothes to dye! And silk painting is a really tempting new hobby…

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I do have a question how do you know if you have a good quality raw mohair?

2 Likes

That’s an excellent question. I’m not an expert on this topic but I’ve had luck just browsing through photos on Etsy. I look for mohair that has a distinct curl pattern and that is still in lock form vs the mohair that has been tosseled and just thrown into a clump see pics below.

Some of the experts on this forum might be able to add to this💕

One of the stores I purchase from is hairfordolls. They are located in Russia but have great raw mohair
hairfordolls’s shop on Etsy hairfordolls - Etsy

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s hard to tell until you have it in your hands. I bought a full fleece once for $250 that was terrible (don’t do that…haha) That Russian fleece looks amazing!

Those are good tips above. When you get it, wash a little sample really thoroughly & let it air dry. It shoud be soft, supple, and shiny. None of those characteristics will get better with conditioner- good quality processed hair comes from good quality raw hair :blush: Conditioner does make it a little easier to manage (less tangles) & smell nice.

2 Likes

I just started dying the next round of mohair and loved watching this. I giggled at the part where you said your kids were about to wake up and ask if you were making breakfast :rofl:

I purchased a half pound of raw hair from a gal in Alabama, and its been great to work with. Im using human hair dye, but am going to set it and forget it for the day…

1 Like

Lol!! Thank you. You definitely have to set and forget when using hair dye. I like that :laughing: