Rooting sealer?

what should be used to seal inside the head after rooting?

Gem Tac glue will work really well. I squirt some into the head then use my forceps holding a sponge to spread it around all over. I got it way too think on my first doll - it took about 48 hours to dry. I don’t think you need that much. Is this for Pooper?? I would love to see him finished.
Go, Bunny!!!

2 Likes

I use E6000. I glop it in there while rotating the head. Then spread it around with a foam brush :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use E 6000 as well with hemostats and a cosmetic wedge folded in half…!!..Be careful though Nikki…the fumes are quite harsh…do it outside if you can and let the head dry away from you…!!:two_hearts:

1 Like

Just started using liquitex art matte gel. Sold at Micheal’s or other craft stores or online. I use Just a little bit and spread it around inside the head and then take tissue paper and rip it up and put the pieces inside over the gel then take a fan brush and spread a little more glue over the tissue paper. I got this idea from other ladies on another forum and it works great and dries real fast. I like the idea of the tissue paper bc it gives the hair something to adhere to and not just sitting inside the head with the glue.

7 Likes

Wow! What a cool idea!!!

1 Like

I use modpodge. several thin layers drying in between

2 Likes

E6000 can pull the hair out. Ouch! :open_mouth: I have been using Mod Podge Fabric.

I’ll be trying this soon. I hear it seals well and drys FAST!

2 Likes

Nikki, whatever you do, don’t use E6000 while you’re pregnant. It’s toxic. I use Aleene’s Ok to Wash It. I really like the idea of the tissue paper over the glue. I think it would make it harder for the hair to come out.

2 Likes

I think I have Alene’s tacky glue in the brown bottle… Is that ok? Or should I get a different one? Thank you Jean- I won’t use e6000!:scream:

1 Like

There’s been discussion that MacPherson’s rooting glue is the liquitex art matte gel with a different label.

1 Like

Tacky glue will hold the hair but it’s not waterproof. I have some extra OK To Wash It if you want it but Monday’s a holiday so I wouldn’t be able to mail it until Tuesday. If you don’t want to wait that long, is there a Michael’s or Walmart nearby where your husband could get it for you?

1 Like

Yes Amy it does and even faster with the tissue paper. The first time I used it, I used way too much and it didn’t even dry overnight, I scooped all the extra out and did the tissue paper and applied a thin layer over that and put it in front of the fan and it was completely dry in a little over an hour.

2 Likes

They are saying it has similar qualities and it was cleared up that the ultimate rooting glue was not the liquitex art gel.

2 Likes

The art gel dries clear too as long as you put a thin layer on

1 Like

It will hold the hair but it’s not waterproof. I did use it on some of my earlier babies but I don’t know what would happen if someone washed the hair. Probably nothing because the rooting holes are so small.

2 Likes

I agree with Helen…only apply it outside and let it dry in a well ventilated area…actually you would be better off using another product for now…!!..

Any glue should do, as long as it is easy to spread.

I root with 42g or 43g needles into warm vinyl and find that the holes contract so well that when I need to pull out single hair it is often hard to do. The vinyl holds the hair so well that I need really good tweezers to get a grab on it. Once the glue is spread around the tails stick together as well as to the whole layer of the glue. Unless the doll would be submerged for period of time I do not think water has any chance getting inside trough the holes even before sealing. If the doll is handled too much it is much more likely that the mohair would break off than to fall out. I like to seal such a way that if I ever wanted to re-root the head I do not need to go in with a jackhammer.

2 Likes