PHOTOS FIRST ENTRY just plain ignorance

I had worked extra hard over the last couple weeks to finish Kiwi, the baby gorilla. My sister is a Humane Officer and manager at a Humane Society. She had asked for a donation for their big, annual fundraiser. I drove 160 miles one way through white-out blowing snow to deliver it to her. She passed it along to the next person who took it to “the one in charge.”. They did not use her because she looked too much like a black baby and people might be offended. I was crushed and my sister is very angry. I can’t believe they could be so ignorant and racist. Good thing I didn’t create an AA baby. I told my sister I wanted it back into her hands and she can keep it or use for a different money maker that she has control over. I will post photos soon.

Here she is:

KimKasaKaitas uploaded this image to KimKasaKaitas uploaded this image to KimKasaKaitas uploaded this image to

I’m so sorry that happened to you! You’re right: people can be pretty ignorant. Hopefully you’re little gorilla can still be used for a good cause, as you intended. I can’t wait to see the pictures you post.

Oh, I ran into this big time last spring and wrote about it on here back then. My sister and I rent a window where we display our dolls. We also make monkeys. One afternoon, after the sale of the second black doll in our window, a man went walking by and saw the monkeys sitting in the window along with the white dolls. He immediately posted a horrible rant on our FB page calling us nasty disgusting racists and also got his daughter, a college student, and her friends to post similar messages like they were all not connected. We were so hurt and no amount of explaining how we hadn’t had time to get another black doll into the window until the following Monday would suffice. THEN he wrote to the business bureau in the town complaining about us!! Well, in the end, we were totally supported by the town and our FB friends and actually gained over 100 new followers on our FaceBook page! Don’t let it get to you. The people who yell “racist” are usually the ones who really are!

So sorry you had to deal with ignorance - it’s truly amazing how some people can feel so righteous - it’s a gorilla, not a human.

Sorry this happened! I too ran into some ignorant people this summer at an arts fair where I had a booth to sell my “baby babies” as well as some baby gorillas. I like to give a bit of the proceeds from the sale of my baby gorillas to a nearby primate rescue facility, and always have signage that explains that as well as the importance of not adopting real monkeys as pets. Someone who had been looking at my gorillas came over and, in a hushed voice, asked me “…if black people ever got offended by my dolls?”. I was really shocked someone would even think that much less have the gall to ask! I just looked at them and told them “No, because they are gorillas”. This shut them up and they left my booth. It had been such a fun day until then with lots of people enjoying the dolls I’d created, lots of laughter and a booth chock full of fun. It’s a shame that one comment by a really dumb person could have put such a black cloud over everything, but it did. I know exactly how you felt! I’m not going to stop taking them to art fairs, but it’s disheartening to think there are people like that out there!

That is ridiculous and even more so after you went through all that trouble
I’m so sorry you had to deal with that =

Oh my! I’m sorry this happened. I hope your sister can use your Kiwi to benefit the cause in spite of… or maybe she’ll just keep it to remind her how thoughtful her sister is.

So sorry, Kim…you went to a lot of work and risked your life to deliver and they acted like morons.

Well that really does take the cake! It was for a “Humane Society” and that is ANIMAL related. The person running this event should be severely chastized for his ignorance!

Kim I am so sorry! That is a poor excuse of a human to think of some thing like that!

Ladies, thanks for all your supportive words with this. It still hurts and my sister is still very angry. My mom had donated some Barbies from her collection. I found out they didn’t use any of them. One was Barbie, Ken, Kelly and Tommy at Disney, Disney Barbie and 101 Dalmation Barbie. These are probably 10 plus years old at this point. Not sure what reason they had for not using those. My sister has started a letter to the two women who chose to exclude them. I just hope they don’t take any actions toward her for expressing how she feels. One is the President of the Board of Directors.

No Barbies either? It is hard for me to understand what they are thinking while trying to run a “benefit”? Your sister could probably find a better organization to give her time to in the future.

I don’t understand how people can freak out about that yet give their child a stuffed monkey without the same prejudice. On the other hand, a very good friend of mine who is black won’t give babies clothes or toys with animals on them for fear of upsetting the parents. She says that it implies the baby is that way. Monkey-too black, pig or cow - too fat, dog - baby or parent is a ■■■■■, cat - baby is too stuck up, etc. Ducks and some birds get a pass but that is about the only exceptions she has. She would let her kids wear some of them but won’t give them to others.

Pia, my sister is a humane officer and a manager of the humane society that the benefit was for. That’s even sadder!

Kim anyone who would mistake that beautiful gorilla as a baby of ANY color, is a bigot, or an idiot!

Lots of hugs to you - your heart & mind were in the right place - the women who refused were not. It would be offensive to me if I were of AA heritage to know that anyone would think I could “mistake” a human baby for an animal…SHAME on them

She is SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!! Sorry again about the idiots.

(((HUGS)))

— Begin quote from “kimomax”

I had worked extra hard over the last couple weeks to finish Kiwi, the baby gorilla. My sister is a Humane Officer and manager at a Humane Society. She had asked for a donation for their big, annual fundraiser. I drove 160 miles one way through white-out blowing snow to deliver it to her. She passed it along to the next person who took it to “the one in charge.”. They did not use her because she looked too much like a black baby and people might be offended. I was crushed and my sister is very angry. I can’t believe they could be so ignorant and racist. Good thing I didn’t create an AA baby. I told my sister I wanted it back into her hands and she can keep it or use for a different money maker that she has control over. I will post photos soon.

Here she is:

KimKasaKaitas uploaded this image to KimKasaKaitas uploaded this image to KimKasaKaitas uploaded this image to

— End quote

What a sweet little monkey! Perfect donation for a Humane Society fund raiser. They are probably kicking themselves (and if they’re not, they should be!) Thanks so much for the pictures!

That body you made is delightful! Cute gorilla, but definitely a gorilla and not a black child! AND would it have been a problem if you had donated an AA reborn? Good grief!