Ok this maybe a silly question lol

So do any of you use a rice sock when rooting. If so how do you heat it up? I am using one for the first time on Owen an his hair is looking so good but the inside of his head smells funny. I keep burning the rice in the sock after like the 2nd or 3rd time. Could I use anything else besides rice lol

If I need to heat the head I lay it on a heating pad. I hate the smell of the rice sock.

1 Like

I find the heating pad more useful than the rice sock. It’s so easy to just lay it down on the spot that needs heated!

2 Likes

I don’t heat my heads. I fill them with poly pellets and pack them in tightly with paper towels. Then I just go ahead and root. It works really well for me.

2 Likes

I did in the beginning but then I stopped because I kept burning the rice and it smelled bad. I didn’t know that trick about putting in water too. Any how for he last 4 + years I just root the head normal without any heat

2 Likes

See I was told to use a rice sock not because the vinyl was hard but because its suppose to make the holes close as it cools. How true that is im not sure. I do notice a big difference in the way Owens hair is looking but maybe because I actually have some good hair. I also heard you could use beans. Have any of you heard of that? The smell with the rice is awful but im gonna give it another shot with heating with water in the microwave. I’m also gonna find my heating pad an give that a try also. I think this is the first time im actually very happy with the way my rooting is coming along. Im not sure if it’s the rice sock or because it’s better quality mohair. Maybe a combo of both. I don’t know!!! Lol Thank you all for your advice. Its very much appriciated :slight_smile:

I’m sure that’s the reason! The heating of the keeps the vinyl soft so the needle go in easier. It may also help the holes to close a bit. I bake the head after rooting to help close the holes.

1 Like

I use a 43 guage single barb needle for rooting. Holes are nearly invisible. It takes a bit longer to root with a single barb but a whole lot less time than pulling out plugs.

1 Like

Yeah I use 42g an the 43g single barb. I think I just haven’t been getting the greatest mohair. I should have plenty for awhile now though thank god lol.

1 Like

Ok found hot/cold packs at cvs to put in the head. You heat it in the microwave for 2 min an it’s get hot just like the rice sock but don’t have no smell lol. I was gonna buy a new heating pad but this hot pack is reuseable. Seems to work perfect so far. Maybe I will finally finish my Owen :slight_smile: just figured I would share!!!

2 Likes

The ones I have seen have gel in them. I would poke it full of holes. What is inside your hot pack?

The one I bought is in like a sock like material. So what I did was cut it in half an take some of the beads out an just tie off the end. Figured with the extra beads I took out I could make like a rice sock. Here is a picture of the box.

1 Like

@Leslie76 what kind of beads are in it? Looks interesting.