New Vinyl Differences?

Jenny, same thing here with red. It used to be so much more vibrant in thinner mixes than now. You used to see the red stand out; now it looks like a barely there dirty color that fades out when it flashes off. I find I even have to mix my blues a little heavier on some vinyl or go over it more times with thinner mixtures of blue than before.

1 Like

It seems to stay a lighter shade but I havent kept many for years to check the long termā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you. I am guessing that so many use GHSP that we would hear about a fading issue if it were occurring. I am just so new with GHSP that I started to panic for a moment.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen a few conversations on the internet where artists said some of their GHSPs had faded a little into the vinyl after a few months. I think itā€™s been mostly since the vinyls have become softer.

That is an interesting observation. I donā€™t understand a lot about how paints and such actually work ā€“ the chemistry of them. But, you may have hit on something here. It will be really interesting to see if anyone else has any input. Thanks for sharing that.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad for everyoneā€™s input, because I felt I couldnā€™t be imagining these things since I havenā€™t changed my paint mixes, but something has changed over time, and the vinyls are softer now, for one thing. I have a harder time getting the look I used to get about three years ago. My babies look less mottled the past couple of years despite ten to 20 layers of mottle applied. I kind of wish the factories would go back to the vinyl they used to make. Guessing that the vinyl is cheaper now, less cost on their end to manufacture it.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an example of my experience with these changes. I just started working on Sami Jo, and Iā€™m using one of my favorite tutorials that has always given great results. Iā€™ve applied the first layers of mottle, and they have gone invisible. The paint mix is the same as Iā€™ve always mixed it. So, I am going to have to mix it darker now and go over it again. Itā€™s taking so much longer to paint now.

1 Like

Here is how dark my first two mottle layers are mixed for Sami Jo. So far he has two of the blue and one of the red applied. Itā€™s all disappeared.

3 Likes

YES!! It is taking me 10 times longer just for the undertones!

2 Likes

Glad itā€™s not just me!

1 Like

Best kit to paint Iā€™ve had is the Eric Stoete Iā€™m working on. Makes me want to buy all Adries Kits because I love the vinyl. I donā€™t have to heat B.B. kits to root them and I had to use a rice sock to heat Eric but it was SUCH a pleasure to paint, I loved the color and the vinyl accepted the paint so nicely.

2 Likes

I was going through WIP pics and this is a pic of my Darren with veining,lips and nails, 2 layers red mottle, 1 purple mottle, 1 blue mottle and a red wash. This is early into his painting and he didnā€™t appear to be absorbing paint at all.

3 Likes

Sometimes the vinyl cooperates.

I guess Iā€™ve just been lucky recently then lol

1 Like

My first two Realborn Josephs took forever, but the third didnā€™t.