Need help with shaping belly/tushy plates!

I’ve never used a belly plate on one of my reborns so I am pretty clueless about them and how they should fit. I know how to attach one once it’s shaped to fit, just unclear about how to best shape it to begin with. I just got a full torso kit (Julian) and would like to make a belly plate and back plate from the torso instead of using it whole. Don’t think the uncut torso would feel very cuddly!. I just need help with how to cut it to make it most effective for photos… I’m not worried about the top cuts, just the sides. Any pros or cons for making a straight cut from arm to leg? Is a different cut better? If anyone can help I’d really appreciate your input!

Here is a very outdated article on how to reborn a doll based on the way things were 10 years ago. However, down at the bottom of the article it does show you how to cut a belly plate from a torso.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/cassysdollhouse/

1 Like

Thanks! That was the only thing I could find online too. The rest is so outdated that I just wondered if there might be anyone out there who knew if it was still the best way. I appreciate your help!

Laura Lee Eagles has a video on how to transform Esme’s torso. This would probably work for you. Smilebox Playback

Well that is the basic gist of cutting them if you want to have a front and back. I prefer not to use the back and to cut just a front using more of the sides so that there is more vinyl to sort of wrap around the baby’s tummy. You can pretty much round their edges and such to however suits you best. I tend to round mine at at the chest so as not to have the arm holes part on the plate at all. Here is a photo of a Berenguer modeling the last belly plate I cut. You can’t really tell from the pics but I rounded the top of it cutting at the arms above the nipples and just under what was the neck area.

Wyatt - Sold by Angie Jones

Wow…talk about a FLASHBACK!!. That’s really what we used to do with a few variations as we discovered new and better ways to re-work play dolls. And we thought they looked sooooo good! We never imagined we would be where we are today. :smile:

P.S. That baby is completely bruised now I’m sure…poor baby! :frowning:

Thanks for the help everyone. I don’t even know if people think it’s a good bonus to have the plates when they buy a reborn, but thought I’d try making them anyway. Wish me luck! lol

1 Like