My first reborn looks like Avatar baby..need advice

Ok…working on my first baby and following online acrylic painting instructions recommended by Hunnybuns. Well…I was to do a purple was but purple wash did not come with my beginners kit. I improvised as well as I could and got a little carried away with the color. Can I just add another stipple of flesh color to make this better. Next step I think is mottling. This was the blog link to Debbie Henshaw video n acrylic painting,

2 Likes

It would help if you posted a pic.

2 Likes

@AmyR777. Hi and thanks for responding. I fear I messed up my baby. Here are pics I took.

Linda

Uploading…

Oh, boy, you do have a blue baby! Is this air dry paint? I don’t know that there is a way to correct for that without having a blue or purple overtone. That’s fine as long as you want a fresh, newborn look. I don’t usually advocate stripping a kit but, in this case, I think that may be your only true fix.

Maybe someone else will come along with some better advice. @kareninflorida, @snuggle2me, @honojane

1 Like

Oh wow, I am so sorry – I know nothing about the type of paint you’re using. I don’t usually recommend stripping either, but in this case I probably would because I don’t think you’ll be happy the farther along you go.

2 Likes

Yes it’s the paints from Hunnybuns. I tried stripping the doll but now the sealer is peeling. So it was a Zoe kit in the trash. It was part of my beginner package I bought. Lesson learned…I should have used a very, very light green wash as my Secrist kit was very pink. Thank you so much for responding. My husband thinks I’m crazy, dining room table is covered with stuff and body parts are soaking in the sink in hot soapy water:(

Linda

1 Like

Thanks…I tried the stripping but it’s not a pretty site since the sealer underneath isn’t coming off right. It looks like a sunburn peel, lol.

Linda

Couple of choices, first a smurf :slight_smile: easy way to cover up blue. Or an avatar :slight_smile: Second you could of tried the primary method if red, blue and yellow but omitted the blue till the color evened out. Or gone the way if an AA baby. It would of looked like the blue undertones.

2 Likes

Hopefully, round two will be better. Be sure to wash the parts really well before painting.

2 Likes

I hope I am able to salvage baby Zoe. I took the doll out of my trash and used a creamy cleanser and goo gone of the doll. It is now soaking in the sink in real hot water and Dawn dish liquid. I am crossing my fingers. So my nice husband to me to order another doll (this is before the cleanser and goo gone) and naturally I did. I ordered The sculpt “Sugar”. Still want to recover baby Zoe though.

2 Likes

I pray it works on my doll…thank you so much for the suggestion!

Linda

1 Like

Thanks for the humor. I sure need it right now. I am determined to learn how to do this.

Linda

1 Like

My first reborn was painted with Hunnybuns and I ended up with a very blue baby. I had to strip her and redo her. I was able to strip most of the blue off. You could give it a try. I used acetone back then because I didn’t know about Windsor and Newton brush cleaner and paint remove yet. I would recommend using the W and N to strip this kit and see if you can salvage her. Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

My first “kit” was a couple of Zoe’s that I bought at Hobby Lobby with coupons! It was the start of my addiction! I stripped one and redid him! Good luck on your stripping and redoing!

2 Likes

If you can get even some of the blue kit stripped, you could always use it for practice parts. Not a bad idea to have a few around to test out colors, mottling, rooting etc. If you get it saved after all, you could always wait and order a test part or two from BB when you place your next order…because if you are hooked like the rest of us, there WILL be a next order! LOL :blush:

2 Likes

Yay!! I was able to strip my doll. Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. It took me all this time trying to get the sealer off…that was the hardest part. I still see some white in the creases but when I wet the doll…you don’t see it. It is going to be my practice doll now. I used a lot of different things to get rid of it all so now I know how to strip a doll!! Thanks again!! You all are such a great group!!!:grinning:

1 Like

It does work because it is acetone based, but you may as well use pure acetone, which is considerably cheaper, and will work even better.

1 Like