More dissolving paint

My normal prime is thicker opaque paint. This is for every kit and it has worked for me for years.

I just ordered Marnie and this is what’s happening. Paint goes on smooth then disappears. Add it again, it disappears. I guess priming with some hard-core substance would have been a good idea.

The leg looks worse from me trying to fix it.
I’m not sure whether to strip and prime or to trash these limbs and turn this into a cuddle baby.

4 Likes

Just added more paint, lightly pounced. :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’m not big on throwing away kits/parts so I’d strip and prime and see if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

I would too. Something oily has contaminated that limb. Wash it really good with an oil stripping soap like Dawn. Rinse well and dry. Then Prime

2 Likes

Would oil straight up dissolve paint? It looks normal going on, then slowly disappears. These kits were scrubbed in dawn before I started. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

If I do all of this and the same thing happens again, I’m going to be breathing fire. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I don’t know about dissolving it. I am thinking more of it is repelling it.

2 Likes

Definitely not repelling it. It goes on just fine. I didn’t even know there was a problem until I was holding the arm while it was drying, that’s when I was able to watch the spot turn white. I even rubbed the vinyl to see if it felt weird in any way. Nope, feels completely normal.

1 Like

I say straight hot garbage. Make a cuddle baby and be gone garbage!

2 Likes

How frustrating :triumph:

1 Like

Oh wow! That’s crazy!

1 Like

My Marnie has been in a box for months waiting to be stripped! Hated that vinyl!

1 Like

Did you have a similar problem?

My paint looked very splotchy, like it was sinking into the vinyl in some areas, and sitting on top of the vinyl in other areas. Looked horrible.

1 Like

Even if your paint didn’t completely dissolve like mine, that sure sounds like what’s happening over here. Did you prime?

Yes, and it didn’t seem to help at all. I’ve considered just painting this kit as an alternative or something.

1 Like

Oh great. Well I’m tossing the limbs and will make a cuddle baby.

1 Like

Sorry for the bad news! Maybe yours would turn out better. Seriously worst kit I’ve ever painted though.

1 Like

Thank you, but I doubt it. If priming didn’t help you, it probably would not help me either. I’d be more frustrated if I did all the work stripping the kit, priming, only to have this come up again.

I had a similar problem. I was thinking it was my Mona Lisa thinner. Baked my layers but with each layer added the more paint would come off.

1 Like