Limited Edition Kits

Hi Everyone!

As many know, the difference between Limited Edition kits and Open Edition kits is that fewer kits are (generally) produced when the kits are… well… limited!

This means that Limited Edition kits must apportion their costs among fewer kits, which raises the retail price of the kit as an automatic consequence. This is a two-edged sword, because while the bare unpainted kit might be more expensive to initially buy when the kit is a Limited Edition, the completed kit is also generally more valuable (because there are fewer of them).

Bountiful Baby has been making Open Edition kits, but we are considering releasing some of our upcoming kits as Limited Edition. If we do so, those kits will need to carry a higher retail price-- probably about 50% more expensive-- than our existing kits generally do, in order to apportion the costs across what would be fewer produced kits.

What are your feelings about Limited Edition kits?

Nevin Pratt
CEO, Bountiful Baby

Could you have both? Is it all or nothing? I enjoy doing both. I enjoy your open edition kits but having some special limited editions would be a nice change.
Mary

— Begin quote from “babymamma”

Could you have both? Is it all or nothing? I enjoy doing both. I enjoy your open edition kits but having some special limited editions would be a nice change.
Mary

— End quote

We would have both.

Nevin

I think it is a great Idea and would love it

i certainly hope that with these more expensive LE kits there is an increase in quality of the kit itself. So many of your “cheap kits” as i call them, lack the detail of the LE kits from the high end Artists. That is a big reason why i stray away from the BB kits now. If you can supply us with LE kits of equal quality to those being produced by Olga Auer, Gudrun Legler, Laura Lee Eagles, Natalie Blick and Marita Winters, then YES! I absolutely would buy them! Even if they cost more. As it is now, i pay around $100 for each kit. Because they are LE and they are amazing sculpts and i know when i sell them, they will sell for over double what a BB kit would sell for.

I like the idea. BB kits has increasing the quality of the vinyl and offering more detailed kits. It offers kits as much as competitive as any other seller site. I love everything about BB, customer service, quality, detailed and beautiful kits and price !

Lucia

Before I buy a limited edition kit and pay a higher price for it the kit has to be of upmost detail and quality for me to feel it is worth it. While I have enjoyed many of the BB kits thus far and enjoy using them, none of them IMO have been in the range of detail and realism as the high end kits that are usually limited editions.

One of the reasons I love Bountiful Baby is because I know I can go there, choose a kit and buy it. I don’t have to worry about pre-orders and paying them off, if the kit is sold out, or if I can afford it, because the prices are great! I think this is what makes BB unique. Also, there are kits that have been around for years that I still love, for instance Shyann. She is a classic and I just did a custom a couple months ago so there is still interest in her. She has one of those faces that you just don’t get tired of.

I think there are enough limited edition kits to choose from. Please don’t change a thing!

— Begin quote from “prettybabydolls”

I think this is a great idea. If you offer both your regular price kits - and some closed edition kits - I’d consider the closed edition kits if they were ones that I really favored. Some customers want a LE kit - so it would definitely keep you competitive with the other sites that sell closed edition doll kits.

— End quote

I also agree with victoria

I agree with Michele. I hate the idea. My favorite thing about BB is that we can always get a kit that we’ve wanted for a good price. I love being able to do the same kit again and again and not worry about having to scramble for money or miss out on a kit. With your prices I’m also able to offer babies at a lower price so someone can get a reborn that normally wouldn’t be able to. I love your upcoming sculpts from Donna Rubert. I would hate to have to miss out because I can’t afford to buy one.

— Begin quote from “MicheleSCN”

One of the reasons I love Bountiful Baby is because I know I can go there, choose a kit and buy it. I don’t have to worry about pre-orders and paying them off, if the kit is sold out, or if I can afford it, because the prices are great! I think this is what makes BB unique. Also, there are kits that have been around for years that I still love, for instance Shyann. She is a classic and I just did a custom a couple months ago so there is still interest in her. She has one of those faces that you just don’t get tired of.

I think there are enough limited edition kits to choose from. Please don’t change a thing!

— End quote

Ditto to what Michele said – I have reborned Shyann and Ember lots of times and they always sell for me. I am not a well-known artist and never will be, so my babies do not garner the attention that the big name artists do. To me, spending big bucks on a LE kit would be silly since mine wouldn’t sell for any more than they usually do. If people want LE kits there are lots of other places to buy them.

I vote NO. I like the fact that there is one place people can go that they can afford. Thanks for asking us.

I like BB kits I am new to reborning, the words Limited Edition mean the world to some people but in reality each reborn is unique and every kit can turn out different. I was reading posts from others and I thought it was rude implying a lack of quality in the existing BB kits. The BB kits give the artist a beautiful canvas to create a one of a kind work of art.

katapiller and Michele (others as well) summed it up----BB DOES produce quality kits. It is all about what the artist does with a kit. I think BB has made great strides with kits with great detail. What other company offers people a chance to showcase their work through contests?! How frequently do these other companies offer the sales like BB does? As stated, there are other places to go to for LE kits. And, I agree about some of the comments being rude. BB, the efforts you have taken to provide materials for reborn artists has made you the company you are. I wouldn’t change a thing.

I would vote for both if the majority would still be open editions. To me the quality and detail of your kits is outstanding! There are so many that I have done multiples of, too, just because I love them. Nobody ships faster and has the quality of service that BB does. While as a rule, the more expensive kits usually sell for more, I have seen many times a BB kit baby go for as much or more than the pricier kits. I think the details of the hands and feet of many of the BB kits are as good and better than some of the LE kits. Also, no guarantees that the more expensive kits will sell for more. It’s really all about the quality of the artist’s work. BB is still my go-to place for most everything I need.

I agree with Michele and with ttulsajess. I have been to other sites to view their kits that consisted of LE as well but always leave the site with the prices of the Open kits pronounced in my mind as being too high priced which prevents me from buying even the LE (I refer back to BB prices for comparison. Comparing even LE to the open kits because price is so great). Always do I come back to Bountiful Baby and always I am happy with the entire experience.

Dayna's Dolls

I’m interested in beautiful kits period. Limited or not, if I don’t love it…I don’t buy it.
I do feel at this point, I’ve reborned all of the BB long standing kits that I ever will, but I enjoy seeing the new ones you’ve released lately.
I’ll always come here for supplies, because your customer service is the BEST and your prices are great, but offering competitive higher end LE kits would be icing on the cake

I guess because I reborn for fun and something to do, not to make money (other than maybe the cost of what I’ve purchased), LE kits don’t make much sense. I’m not trying to get people to pay me big bucks. I’d rather have a kit I can make with less expense and then sell or give away so someone that can’t usually afford this hobby can have a baby. I do hate it when they sell for less than what I paid on sale though! No more kits that I’m not personally drawn to!

Same goes for my keepers. I have one that isn’t BB that is/was a keeper. Thinking seriously about selling her. The idea of having a LE doll vs an open edition just doesn’t matter to me. The sculpt matters. I’ve bought a couple of awful LEs and one good one so LE doesn’t mean better or more detail. Usually it means worse quality in my experience. I would maybe buy a LE from BB if it were a doll I want due to the sculpt itself, but not because it is an “LE”.

I think it would be great to have both open and LE. Thank you!!

first of all, i feel the need to clarify. I commented simply on the fact that if they were to offer LE kits, they would have to match the quality of the other LE kits being sold out there. No one is debating that this company has great prices! Of course they do!! And yes, if you want to sell your dolls at lower prices then this IS the place for you. I started here too! I have reborned just about every kit they have! Some are better than others. there are some i will never do again. I like Teagan and Lane, and Paisley, Scarlett, and several others a whole lot! They have wonderful detail! But there are many that just aren’t that detailed and no matter what you do, they are still going to look “dolly”. That has NOTHING TO DO WITH ADDING LE KITS TO THE STORE! ANd honestly, i dont think they are saying it has to be one or the other. It would be a very bad move to discontinue selling the cheap kits. And if selling the LE kits would affect the pricing of those cheaper kits, that would also be a bad move. But as far as offering LE kits, i say YES! Because there are many artists who will ONLY reborn those types of kits. So to get them here would be great! After all, they aren’t going to just buy a kit, good chance they will buy supplies as well. A new customer is a good customer no matter how you look at it. I am not a “well known artist” either, but my dolls do sell for quite a bit of money. And they are all LE kits. I make just as much profit if not more from them as i do with the BB kits which i DO sell from time to time. I have a few here i will be making for Christmas time so there are cheaper options available for those out there that can’t afford a $500+ doll! I really hope this clarifies what i was trying to say.