I can't believe this

All kits on sale, all paint three times the price. That makes sense.

5 Likes

I totally agree!!

1 Like

People want the paint, no one wants the kits.

5 Likes

The OG reborn artists didn’t have Genesis and they did ok, I think we just need to be more creative. Anyone try oil paint on vinyl? It would take a long time to dry but I keep thinking how beautiful it could be if done well. Time to explore air dry and come up with some new ways to do that well?

Sad thing is sales are tanking for artists but supplies are going up.

As for grocery prices, holy! My bill has doubled but I find myself saying no to convenience foods and switching to less expensive brands. I don’t waste food like I use to. I am a Trader Joe’s shopper (my daughter works in the art department there so I use it as an excuse to visit). Meat has gone way up so I am slowly moving my family back to a vegetarian diet, it’s a win for me but they are not super stoked. I am also doing big batches and freezing when something is on a good sale. If you shop sprouts they put a ton of produce on sale mostly Monday and Wednesday before trucks come.

Has anyone here used a co op food service like Azure ( so expensive) where you order once a month and meet a truck for a pick up, I am looking for bulk, I hate all the packaging and it’s suppose to save money. If you know of a good one you can recommend…

Costco, forget about it, I did one trip and I was just blown away with the mark ups.

I killed my lawns and put in veggie beds but because of the abnormal heat and the worsening drought on the west coast my yield was not as great as I hoped. If you don’t be,I eve in climate change come over here for a visit, or I can send you photos of our lakes and reservoirs… Mother Nature is not impressed with humans, she is cleaning house before we hurt her anymore.

We are going to have to ride out this economical situation we find ourselves in and learn to waste less, do better, share and take care of each other.

…and Lordy let my car keep running, the price of a truck (that I need) is more than my first house cost!

5 Likes

Grocery prices are insane. However hamburger meat has been on sale for $2.50-2.99 a pound everywhere here. So I’m stocking back up. We go through lots of hamburger meat so I need to buy it cheap when I can. My husband pointed out the reason for the low prices. Texas is a big beef producer. But our part of Texas is dry as a bone. We can’t grow enough grains to feed the cows. So ranchers and dairies are selling their cows. And since there are so many they are going cheap. But that also means there will be a beef shortage soon. Meaning prices will soar.

3 Likes

Way back in the prehistoric times I tried oil paint on a vinyl monkey I’d torn apart to remake it. It wasn’t a kit and I have no idea what sort of vinyl it was but it felt like what you’d expect vinyl to feel like. I painted the head and knew I’d have to wait a while for it to be dry enough to handle. So I set it aside and didn’t look at it for a couple of weeks. When I rechecked it, the paint had completely separated and the oil was inside the vinyl head and the exterior just had powdery pigments on the surface. I decided my great idea was a no go and kept it that way until BB came into my life with baby gorilla kits and GHSP! That was my intro to this rabbit hole and I’ve been here ever since!
Life’s crazy around here too. We’ve both had Covid twice even though fully vaccinated and boosted. We’re fine now, but it’s not a fun way to spend time off. Prices are crazy on everything, things are unavailable at odd times, and I’m trying to avoid places still that are too “peopley”. We’ve got two little bright spots of joy though, our great grandsons. One is 3 years old and the baby is 8 months. Their daddy, my grandson, is a sweet guy too (all three are in the photo). Such blessings to our whole family!
my boys 2022

5 Likes

Hmmmmm. Wonder if priming it would help or do you think the two are just not compatible?

I’d think priming it would have helped a lot, maybe a couple of coats of something to give a good base. Plus I have no idea what sort of vinyl I was painting. Probably some would be more dense than others. I had no idea what I was doing but I’d painted with oils since I was a kid and knew the paint. Just didn’t know how to deal with the stuff it went on!

Didn’t reborning begin with oil paints and play dolls like Berenguer?

Yep, I reborn many a Berenguer with Oil Paints. We used linseed oil to help spread it and babies turned yellow orange with time. Not sure if it was the oil or the vinyl or both. I suspect both. No thank you to the oil paints.

I think I have enough Genesis to last me for 2 years now and by 2024 I will have been reborning 20 years so I may just retire from it then if there is not an alternative.

In answer to an earlier question, I order my wheat, steel cut oats and a few other things here and there from Azure Standard. It is high but I have buckets of wheat enough to feed us for a year or more. It was especially nice during COVID shut downs to know I could get things delivered from them when things were not available many places.

1 Like

I completely agree!! My family will do without before I over pay!! We mainly lived on chicken and ground beef but not I serve a lot of pasta!! My van is 11yrs old and the repair lost just keeps growing. But I can’t afford a new or used car! Don’t even get me started on my recently increased property taxes!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I pray the new year ahead brings much needed change for everyone!!

I started with oil painting on store bought dolls. 20 years ago. Dont do it. It does not go well. At all.

Food prices are insane. I cant eat sugar or grains of any kind so i mostly eat meat and low carb veggies. My grocery bill is insane.

Aww he looks so squishy!