Huxley stinks!

My first Huxley I had no problems with except I didn’t like her left eye but I fixed that. I got a request for a 2nd Huxley. I ordered it from MacPherson’s and just got it. I pre-ordered her for the second shipment. It was not a seconds kit. Her eyes look okay but her head is lumpy and uneven, kind of like pictures of a sculpt in progress that hasn’t been fully smoothed out yet, and she stinks to high heaven of I don’t know what. Smells like chemicals. It’s really strong. I can hardly stand to open the bag. It’s almost like she was made in a different factory. I haven’t done anything to her yet, even washing, because I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to use her. I’m really disappointed because I just adore Huxley.

2 Likes

Hi. Do you use air dry paints?

Yes.

Wow, that really does stink. If you wash her in the washing machine like I think it was Angie sometimes does do you think that might help? And if you did this and it stunk, I think you could still send it back. Like we don’t have enough trouble getting Any sculpts then to have this on top of that, very discouraging. So sorry this happened…

2 Likes

Oh no I am so sorry. I have painted four Huxleys and have a request for another one, but this makes me really hesitant. None of my Huxleys smelled bad, but I do have another kit that smells- honestly like bug spray. It is an Alexis kit.I have washed it several times even tried lemon and vinegar, but it still smells horrible.

The 1st Huxley I got smelled like that. Like, take your breath away stout! I had to scrub it with dawn dish soap numerous times. And let it soak in the tub with it overnight. I did eventually get rid of the smell though!

2 Likes

Most of them come defected with flaws . Machperson had a rude comment about it. Andrea Arcehllo said on FB that they should been sent out .
it should be posted and marked with lower price as seconds .or at least sate in the description so buyers can decide if they want a kit full of flaws for full price.

very bad customer service

2 Likes

I had no problem with this kit in particular, but had a similar problem with another one. It had a horrible chemical smell and was super oily. I scrubbed with dawn several times and it still smelled terrible. I think what I ended up doing was a steaming hot sink full of dawn water and soaking them for around 24 hours total. I scrubbed the parts again and ran them through the dishwasher. Normally I don’t bother to prime, but this time I did just to be sure the oil wouldn’t seep out and ruin everything.

1 Like

I can try washing her in the dishwasher to get rid of the smell but I’m not sure if I can fix her lumpy head. If I can, it will be a lot of work. She has some thick, cracked lumps of vinyl inside her head, too. They’re not where she’ll be rooted but I really think this should have been sold as a seconds kits. Small flaws I can deal with but this is her entire head, and face. I’m going to contact MacPherson’s and see if they’ll replace it with a better one. Her limbs seem to be okay except for lumps of vinyl on the inside that won’t affect the finished product.

3 Likes

That’s terrible. I’m glad you’re considering contacting the company.

1 Like

I had a previous kit w/ a bad odor & I boiled water & vinegar to a rolling boil for 5min. I removed from stove & placed my kit in it until the water became room temperature ~then refilled the stock pot w/ water & orange Dawn dish detergent let rolling boil for 5 min again~removed from stove & placed parts in it to sit til cool~then repeated once more w/ Johnson’s baby shampoo~after the process was over~the odor was gone :hugs: maybe U can try this method & hopefully it’ll wrk for U as well ~Good Luck!

1 Like

Jean I had that once from McP’s on a Laura Tuzio sculpt Azalea. I complained and they sent another but said they smell because the factory didn’t air them out???It is a petroleum kind of smell. I had less smell with the replacement but it did smell and had to wash it several times an leave it outside for days.

3 Likes

I’m returning Huxley for a refund. I would have found a way to get the smell out but the lumpy, uneven vinyl just doesn’t work for me. It isn’t something that can be camouflaged and it’s her entire head, cheeks, forehead and back of the neck. She probably should be sold as a seconds kit. Since my first Huxley wasn’t like this, and had smooth vinyl, I asked them to check a few to see if they’re all like this before I sent it back for replacement. They did check and said they are all like this so I chose to return her. I’m really sad because I would have loved to do another one.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s sad Jean. It’s a shame her kit was a mess…for me anyway and for so many others. I agree that she should be sold as a seconds kit. I have no interest in struggling with her again.

1 Like

Where is the quality control??