How to root fur - reborn Chihuahua - Complete UPDATED

I totally agree with you, that’s exactly why I have add a quick response to your question. It was not directed at you but to everyone who may see this post in the future.

Not yet, but I think what might work is to heat the vinyl to soften it, poke a hole some way into it then use a small doll re-root needle to push some hair strands in. It should hold itself as I’m finding when I root it in the head it just sticks in place as soon as the needle is pulled through.

Gluing some on is option 2 but I’d rather not have to as I’ve not yet found any glue that properly fixes to vinyl.

1 Like

It’s this one:

https://aussierebornsupplies.com.au/sphynx-cat-reborn-baby-kitten-animal-kit-body-and-eyes-make-my-own-unpainted.html

It’s not the same as the one that’s not been released yet.

1 Like

@Dollfan I plan on making a Werebaby in the future with a BB kit that I have and was curious as to how you did it. Can’t wait to see pics when you are done!

When I get around to the ears I’ll post if it works or not, I haven’t started them yet as I’m waiting for some needles to arrive so I can try it out. I’ve also been advised a leather needle may work to poke some holes into the vinyl but I’m going to try the other way first.

1 Like

@Dollfan When I put whiskers on my Lion I used a needle. I used horse hair and I will probably use it again for my werebabys whiskers.:grin:

Not updated this for ages! Thought y’all might like to see the progress I’ve made on my reborn chihuahua:

After a lot of rooting:

After a whole ton more rooting:

Hours of brushing out and clipping later the head is done (for now):

Started on the limbs now, one down three to go:

This has been a learning curve and a half, so many things I’ve done then redone because it wasn’t working out for various reasons or done unnecessarily. Like rooting way too much hair into the head then having to thin it back out. Still a long way to go but I’m happy with how it’s looking so far :smiley:

10 Likes

I agree.

This is wild!!! What a cool process.

1 Like

Thank you, not sure if cool is the right word at the moment though, my fingers are aching from such awkward rooting :weary:.

Looking at the nose I’m just wondering here, if I think it looks too flat and want to make another nose to go over it, is there any actual way of fixing one in place? Has anybody added horns or something to an alternative kit that could suggest anything? Bearing in mind I can’t heat the kit or it’ll fry the fur!:grimacing:

2 Likes

Could you make one of sculpey and then glue it with e6000?

I don’t think the nose is too flat personally, I like it. Chihuahua haven’t a long muzzle. Polymer clay is a possibility if you feel confident in sculpting. You will have to remove all the fur to glue it.

I think it’s the cutest little dog ever !

Thank you Leabelle! I have been super busy with work but I have managed to progress some more, gotten both front legs finished, one back leg done and made a good start on the other. I posed the head and front legs together quickly to see what it’s looking like, I am sooo happy with how it’s looking!

I’ve tried to put a better picture of the nose, do you still think it’s not too flat? Of course it might alter when it’s painted dark though. I can make another but don’t really want to as it’s not going to ever be as secure as the one moulded into the head. I’m a bit undecided on it.

5 Likes

I think the nose it’s not the problem, it’s the forehead that is too flat. For that the solution I eee is to do some “fur sculpting”, but the fur is too short there. I am not sure if you understand what I mean.

2 Likes

To kind of demonstrate what @Leabelle is saying, here’s profile of a longhaired chihuahua. The forehead comes out a bit more. I agree fur sculpting would fix that but not sure how to do that now

3 Likes

Is that your dog? What a sweetie :heart_eyes:

Hmmm I think I see what you both mean, how to change it though is another matter…

I’m a dog groomer by trade so sculpting fur in itself isn’t a problem at all but this is tricky, because the fur is clipped very short on the face leaving little to work with. Plus the head is really too full to root much more hair into it :thinking:.

I have finally gotten all the vinyl parts rooted! I redid the face a little too and have managed to alter the fur to give a less flat shape. I couldn’t fix that much as it is what it is but it’s better and I’m happier with it.

So I have a head, feet and tail. Now I need a body. The animal bodies I’ve seen I don’t think will work so I’m going to try making my own. Are there any simple templates and instructions for reborn bodies on here? My idea was to make a reborn style body but more dog shaped, as doll body for instance, the neck is at the wrong angle.

1 Like

Like the body for the piglets? Or are they to big?

Can you not buy the cat body?

Piglet body is too big and wrong shape. No I can’t buy the cat body because it’s not what I’m after. It’s too ‘doll like’, I ideally want something that will give a proper dog shape when stood up. It’s ok though as I’ve worked out how to make a body by altering my own plush dog pattern to suit so I just need to order some fabric.

1 Like