How to root fur - reborn Chihuahua - Complete UPDATED

Brands like that
americana_multi_surface
Or any acrylic if you already have some

Thank you, I actually have some black acrylic paint and clear gloss craft varnish but I didn’t think they’d stick to vinyl…nothing sticks to Barbie vinyl anyway…figured they’d all be the same. I haven’t gotten started yet as I’m still waiting for the kit to arrive but I’d like to know as much as possible before I put it into practice!

Out of interest, if acrylic paint works on vinyl, if I wanted to try making a baby after this project, would it work for that?

It would work. I actually began with those paints.
You may use a sealer (same brand) before painting, it will add adhesion. But I strongly suggest you to follow a tutorial before painting a reborn. It’s not exactly the same technique.

Is a sealer the same thing as a primer?

I think I’ll see how the dog goes before attempting anything else but I wasn’t meaning something like the beautifully detailed art reborns on here, I was thinking more along the lines of an Ashton Drake doll type baby, simple skin tone, tipped nails, basic hair root that sort of thing. I don’t have time to get into making proper reborns but I love dolls and would so like to make one of my own, I’m curious as to if I could:blush:.

Sealer and primer have the same fonction before painting.
A simple doll reborn need a technic too or it would turn out bad ! You need to thin the paint and apply in very thin layers, that’s why I say look at some tuto to have an idea.
I reborned my daughter’s dolls before kits and it’s not n easy thing.

I received my kit today. I’m very pleased with it, looks like it will make a nice Chihuahua dog. However, while the legs and tail are soft and squishy, the vinyl head is rather hard! I can’t put it in my oven as I cook in it and I don’t have another. Is there any other way of softening the vinyl up?

I sometimes use a cherry pit pillow or in the winter I simply put it on my radiator. You can also try a sock filled with rice that’s been heated in the microwave.

A rice filled sock sounds like a good way, how hot does it need to be and do you have to keep reheating it as you go? I did try the hairdryer yesterday, it works but it needs to be on constantly and apart from the noise, I’m concerned it’ll burn out if left on too long. I’m also wary of distorting, weakening or melting the vinyl by a cycle of heating and cooling.

I’ve started rooting this kit today. So far so good. However, the ears on the tops and edges are quite solid not hollow like the rest of the vinyl and even my very long strong needle won’t go through it. I’ve heated it with a hairdryer and it softens it but it’s still too sense to me pull a needle through. How do you root through thicker bits of vinyl? Or how are full silicone babies rooted as that is surely similar?

1 Like

I have never done that. Did you figure it out? @Dollfan

Did you buy the silicone vinyl kit?

Silicone vinyl doesn’t exist…

1 Like

I haven’t been able to root thoses parts. Gluing the mohair may be the way to do it.

1 Like

I’m aware of that thanks. The question was not to you. I explained to her that silicone vinyl doesn’t exist and that the kits that say that is what they are, are illegally copied kits. I was asking her the question as the kit she wanted has not been released yet so was checking she had not bought an illegally copied kit.

Sorry if I offend you, it was not my intent.
A lot of people believe that it’s a thing, I was just informing that it’s not.
I also believe that the discussion is open to everyone…

1 Like

When someone replies to a person’s comment then they are talking to that person.
If you have read the comments then you would have seen my first comment very early on explaining that there is no such thing as silicone vinyl ect ect. So yes that has been explained in detail already.

@Bethany its no big deal, she made an honest mistake. Sometimes ya just don’t realize who was being replied to. No need to get upset. We’re all friends here :hugs:

4 Likes

We have a word in french… it’s “soupe au lait”. I will not translate.
I have totally see to who you where asking, but my mistake : I haven’t re-read allll the thread.

Don’t speak to someone who is not speaking to you it’s a forum rule that I was not aware of…:thinking:

I will say nothing more.
@Bethany have a very nice day !

4 Likes

Personally I take it very seriously that people buy illegally copied kits. Not only is it a crime to do so but it is stealing from our amazing sculptors. If she has indeed done so then I will be letting BB know as im sure they do not want those stealing sculpts or those buying them and therefore allowing the crime to exist as part of their forum! Hence why it was a question just for her!
It is a huge problem that sculptors are trying so hard to deal with but they need the whole community behind them.

1 Like

Thank you, yes I would say some are friends whom I have found through here :blush:

1 Like