How to choose gender

How would I go about choosing the gender of the doll I’m making to sell? Do I buy both genders of clothing and let the buyer choose? Go gender neutral? Choose the gender myself and send it that gender? This is my first time selling lol.

2 Likes

I keep some baby clothes on stock for dolls I make to sell.
I often photo baby in both genders of clothing so buyer can choose.
You can also go GN and stick with whites/greens/yellows/ etc

2 Likes

Even popping on a simple headband would help the buyer see girl vs boy.

2 Likes

I like to pictures both genders and let buyer decide. Sometimes I do just one because I just can’t see the other gender or I just don’t have the right clothing…I don’t have a lot in stock !

3 Likes

I hate doing photo shoots so I don’t want to do two sets. Usually I decide which gender it will be before I even start painting so what you see is what you get.

1 Like

Same lol :rofl::rofl: pretty much every doll I make o always see boy even if it has a female torso lol 🤷

2 Likes

You could present them as both in your photo shoots, and send them home in neutral hospital clothes if they are newborns. Some doll supply stores even sell the plastic hospital bracelets and traditional hospital receiving blankets.
Most new parents want to dress them their way anyhow.

1 Like

This sounds weird…but the gender of the doll comes to me as I paint… :wink:

2 Likes

I tend to immediately picture the gender for a kit I’m going to work on.

Even if it’s only ever been shown/prototyped one way, if I see it in my head as the other, it’s like I can’t unsee it. Lol!

I also tend to see boy more often than girl…and I do love painting boys!

My last several customers have all ended up requesting the opposite of what I originally chose for the doll, though! Maybe that’s saying something about my gender decision making. Hahahaha!

I keep a stockpile of clothing so I can quickly make the change if a customer requests it. The only time it’s more of a problem is if I’m offering twins and don’t necessarily have the matchy-matchy outfits for a different set up than my original “vision” for them.

I do think it helps close sales when you’re willing to show and/or offer your dolls at “customer choice” for gender.