How do I prep the mohair for rooting? Help Please

Okay my 2 orders of Delta Dawn are here. I’m ready to try to micro root for the very first time using a spare vinyl leg to practice on before I attempt Lainey’s head. I read somewhere that you have to tie off near the top and clip it in a straight line across and then use that end for rooting. I opened up my neatly packaged mohair and went to tie off the top and the mohair started slip sliding all over the place and separating from the bunch. It’s beautifully soft but hard to handle to tie off and clip. What am I doing wrong. I finally got it tied off but there’s quite a bit of mohair that fell away from the bunch. Please help… how do I keep the bunch neat and be able to secure it at the top? Thanks ladies…Sorry to be such a pain…

2 Likes

:scream::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob: poor leg :sob::sob::sob: another mutant lol

2 Likes

Everyone has their own way of doing it, I lay mine on a flat surface to open it pull a small amount out, just a small hair tie ( I use the cloth ove red like in picture, here a link to a really good tutorial maybe it will help, you will get what is most comfortable for you, rebornarthub.com it has many differnt tutorials on there, you can also go to top right corner on here hit the search icon type in anything you are looking for most have put links to tutorials or pictures to demonstrate how to do anything.

Thank you Angel…I’ll check out the tutorial that you recommended. I’m also using the mushroom tool to hold the needle which feels comfortable in my hand but the needle keeps moving off on an angle when I insert it into the vinyl. The tool came with 3 different plastic heads and I’m wondering if maybe I’m using the wrong attachment or if I have the needle set too high. The one I have in now has a crisscross head. I have it tightened down as much as I can. I can’t believe that the tool didn’t come with some kind of instructions!! At this point I feel like I am never going to be able to complete my first 2 WIP babies!! I’m also having a problem finding the barb on the needle even with my reading glasses on!! Any tricks of the trade that you can share with me on that? I’m using a 40G single barb. Sorry for all the questions but I’m at a loss as to what to do. :grin:

Thank you Kim! The pix really help!

Geezzzz Kim…Thanks for letting me know that rooting takes a while to get the hang of. I honestly was starting to think that I’m getting stupid in my old age. I love reborning…actually I’m hopelessly addicted. I just want to be good at it. Since childhood I’ve always been hard on myself and I expect perfection from myself first time around. It’s funny but I don’t expect perfection from others… . :unamused:

4 Likes

=Jackie-----If you want a lot of info try the spyglass and type in your rooting question, you will get more info than you need. Rooting is so personal, everyone has their own way of doing it. I think with the tool you have to cut the needle, did you do that? I just wrap a rubberband around my needle just above where the needle starts to thicken out some. I separate a portion of the hair, cut into thirds or so (depending on the length of the hair) (you only need pieces a couple of inches or so) I lay my cut pieces of hair on a paper towel with the words “cut end” at the top. that way I never get it mixed up, When I am ready to root I take a very small section of hair (maybe toothpick size) from one of the cut sections and begin to root away till that piece of hair is gone, than go get another tiny piece and keep on rooting. Take breaks and give yourself a rest periodically to keep from getting a sore neck, back, etc. Take your time you can do this !! Don’t waste your good mohair on another hairy leg, LOL !!!

2 Likes

Thanks Lynn…I bought the pre cut needles that are made for the rooting tool I have from BB. I find the mushroom tool comfortable but haven’t tried practicing without it yet. Right now I’m trying to find a nitch that works for me. My rooting leg :japanese_ogre: looks a little freaky right now. I find that I miss the strand of hair a lot when trying to get it to catch on the barb but I am able to get some rooted. A big problem for me is keeping the hair evenly spaced. I keep going off course. :unamused: I’m going to practice more today and will post a picture later for every one to see. I’m not using my Delta Dawn mohair to practice. I have some Ruby Red that I’m practicing with.

2 Likes

That’s good, I was hoping you weren’t wasting your good hair. You will find your nitch. I root with my head In a stuffed bowl that holds the head just perfect. I set the bowl on a silicone pot holder so it doesn’t slip around on the table. Works great.

1 Like

Ok…Here is the leg I used to practice rooting on. I used inexpensive Ruby Red mohair and I looks like the dye in it stained the vinyl. I’ll be using Delta Dawn on my 2 WIP babies. Is there anything that I need to do to the DD to prevent this from happening? Can anyone offer anything to help me improve my technique? Critiquing is appreciated!! Thanks ladies!!

2 Likes

Thanks Kim! I know that there were some spots where I pulled in more then one or two hairs. Because it was a practice leg I didn’t bother to pull out the excess. I think I’ll attempt Lainey tomorrow. Because I’m new at this I think its a good idea for me to map the head. For Lainy and Rose I want to do sparse rooting…what do you think?

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhhhh another mutant !!! :scream::scream_cat::no_mouth:

2 Likes

Woo hoo! Another hairy leg!!! Looking great, @JackieJo! I agree with Kim about the extra hair in the holes. Sparse rooting would be great. Yes, map the head first. Keep the space between the hairs and do your best to keep that space consistent.

1 Like

I named him Jeebie as in these mutant legs give me the heebie jeebies!!! :scream:

2 Likes

That’s a great idea Sony! Thank you!!

Looks great Jackie !! Kinda looks like your leg has on a hula skirt, lol. You are off to a good rooting start, keep going.

2 Likes

I spent the afternoon watching rooting and mapping videos. Very interesting but confusing at the same time. What everyone here has told me…“everyone has their own technique”…sure rang true today! LOL!! I ended up mapping from video I watched because I loved the end result when her baby was finished. Here are some pix of my messy mapping. What do y’all think?

Sorry this is the only picture out of 5 that I could get to upload… For some reason I have a constant problem loading pix to this site. Is anyone else having that problem? Its so frustrating.

1 Like

mapping looks good Jackie. Did you map it with a prisma pencil? If you did, watch that cause it will become permanent in a little while. I map with a white charcoal pencil and I have to watch out for that too. I do the lines lightly and erase them with a pencil eraser as I go.

1 Like

Mapping looks good. I don’t add the arrows because it’s more to take off. I agree with Lynn to make the marks light and erase as you go.

Amy and Lynn…Thank you for letting me know that the prisma pencil can become permanent over time. When I did Lainey’s mapping this afternoon with my light brown prisma pencil. I did it with the intention beginning her rooting tonight. I had a friend stop over unexpectedly and when she left it was too late to start rooting. When I read about the prisma pencil I grabbed my paint eraser and took off all the mapping. I was afraid that if I left it on overnight that it would be permanent by morning. The mapping pattern was easy so I can always remap her quickly from memory. Have you ever tried mapping with a nail tip whitening pencil? If so did it come off easy? Some one here mentioned chalk but that it rubs off easily. Thanks again! :heart_eyes:

1 Like