Help with discoloration!

Right???!!! At least it’s something that is correctable if this is what it is. You know, I normally only use glazing medium on my dolls but this time I use the satin. Perhaps it just takes a hair longer to cure than the glaze?

That’s what I’m wondering. Is this problem exclusive to that product, or do we need to worry about all of our GHSP products? It’s weird for sure. :flushed:

My customer is concerned that even if I re-bake the doll, and I would do so at least three times more at maybe 13 minutes a bake just to be extra sure… That eventually it will start happening again. I’m trying to assure her that once it’s heat set it is permanent but she is skeptical as I can I certainly understand. I’m not quite sure what to do at this point. I did tell her that she is welcome to send me any kit she would like and I will offer her a free reborning. Never using satin medium again; I can tell you that. I’ve only ever used glazing medium and I’ve never, in my 18 years of reborning, have ever had an issue.

I only use matte and bake in an actual oven but what I do is bake for 10 minutes, flip over my parts and bake for another 8 minutes.

Oh wow! You’re not afraid to bake for that long? I could be what I did wrong! I assumed 12 minutes was the standard. Was the max.

Amaco has requested the batch number and will run some tests

1 Like

I have been reborning for 13 years. More than one time I’ve left them in for hours and I’ve never had a melted baby. But, like I said, I use an actual oven. Not a nuwave oven.

Oh that makes me feel better! I’m going to try that, at least for the glaze mediums. They are much thicker than the paint. I use a regular oven also and haven’t melted a baby in 18 years!

1 Like

There aren’t a lot of us left.

Make sure you do flip them and keep an eye on them. Just be careful.

1 Like

From Amaco:

Hello Emily,

The only thing that could be turning the cloth green is maybe the U.V inhibitors. The lab will put what you send back on a white cloth and try to duplicate the issue. For the cloth to absorb oil it had to not of been fully heatset. If the varnish is diluted too much with the mineral spirits, that will cause the heat setting agent to not be effective and that could lead to possible leaching of oil. We will have more information for you when the product arrives back and is tested.

2 Likes

Wow I didn’t know mineral spirits could inhibit the heat set agent. Did you send them to jar of satin varnish to test?

1 Like

Yes!

BUT, the stains do not seem to be where the clothing is touching the vinyl; it is in places where it is over the cloth body?