Help with discoloration!

I wonder if washing the body in the washing machine would take care of it. Unless it has cardboard joints.

1 Like

Do they smoke? A friend I met years ago had her dolls and their clothes turn an awful yellow green. If not, then I have bodies to wash…can’t wait to use that line around the neighbor kids!

1 Like

Now that’s one I haven’t heard! The thing is… When she opened the doll which I packed securely in her box, the T-shirt was already green! It happened in just those two days from the time I dressed it and it left my house, to the time it arrived at hers. So it doesn’t have to do with smoking. We don’t smoke over here and I don’t believe my customer does either but I can check. Good information, though.

I’m guessing the humidity from traveling probably got the body a little damp, and in those areas where the fabric touches the body a little more firmly (the shoulders and waistband is where it bled.
That would explain the color bleed, since they are normally indoors not exposed to humidity, the body was nice and dry before. Just a little moisture on that body, and the color started to bleed.
Definitely shouldnt have happened though, it had to be that they didnt wash all of the dye out so now when it gets wet the color seeps through

2 Likes

Now I am at my wits end! Would you believe that I replaced that body from my sweet customer and it happened AGAIN??? The same thing with the green color showing up on the white onesie! Now I’m thinking it is the vinyl and it something in the actual vinyl causing it. Could we have received a bad kit? This was Enya. This baby has been baked and sealed and washed and baked again a million times!!!

2 Likes

What the heck?

1 Like

Where did you get the baby clothes? Looks to me like the sort of stains that sometimes come out on clothing stored away for a while. Like an old stock in a shop, or second hand baby clothes. I just threw out whole stack of my old granddaughter’s things, which I kept from the time she was a baby. They were all washed, and I thought had no stains; well, they do now.
There is no way the body would bleed. It’s not a dyed fabric. It’s not yellow.
I accidentally got some marking pen stains on the bodies, I used solvents and washed them with all sort of strong stuff and no dye came out. The stains did dissolve and come out, but there was no mark left on the body where I scrubbed or anything.

Interesting that there is a very sharp yellow line as the onesie was folded. My guess is something where the clothing was stored.

It happened on the clothes she sent the baby in and on the clothes the customer changed it into.

1 Like

Soaking baby clothes that have stains that appeared after storage in the washing machine over night with Oxy Clean has always got the stains out for me. Just in case you want to give it a try on any other clothes that you had in storage before throwing them out.

1 Like

It’s a good thought, but when I purchased the clothing they were in perfect condition. This happened after a couple days of wear… Clothing from two different manufacturers

The only other thought I have, as I am racking my brain continuously, is that this doll was the first I’ve ever used the Genesis satin medium on. I always use glaze! Still, it’s perfectly clear and was baked over and over, so I don’t see how on earth it would turn clothing green. I’m going to call Amaco (they make Genesis) and ask if this has ever been reported! Want to speak to a chemist there. If not, then for sure it’s a defective vinyl kit.

It wouldn’t be the Polyfil, right?

Is the polyfil colored? I would assume not that but may be now if it absorbed what ever the clothes did…

No, it’s pure white fresh poly fill. I don’t see how it would ever “seep” through the body onto the clothing without leaving a stain on the body as well! My money is on either a defective vinyl kit or defective Genesis satin glaze. I left a message for the Genesis technical department. I’ll update you soon.

This wild goose chase is crazy!!!

This is just crazy! However, and this may be completely unrelated to your problem, I had a jar of genesis satin varnish that had a green tint to it. It was bought brand new from MacPhersons and after a couple months turned greenish. I just thought it went bad and threw it out. Haven’t used satin varnish since. The only thing that doesn’t make sense is if it’s cured it shouldn’t do that!! Definetly let us know what genesis says.

1 Like

Now that’s very interesting. Thank you for letting me know. Did you call Amaco and report that?

No I didn’t. I had just started with genesis paints and had no idea if they expired or what. I had a bad batch of red that wouldn’t mix with thinner around the same time so I just chalked it up to them going bad. Now I wonder if that wasn’t the case.

I actually did that, and it seemed to get the stains out, but short time later they came back.

I guess it worked for me because I was using those clothes for my next baby so they were frequently being washed again. If they were just sitting maybe they would have reappeared.

From Amaco:

“Hello Emily,
The Lab says that it like the product was not fully heat set. They recommend to re-heatset the doll and wrap it in an old white tee shirt. If not fully heat set the oils will leach out. “

Now that’s interesting, being that I did a lot of bakes! I perhaps I didn’t bake long enough each time? I figure 10 minutes would do it at 265, but perhaps the thicker mediums take longer? And why on earth would it be green?

1 Like

That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing. Now I’m paranoid about whether or not I’ve been baking long enough. :grimacing:

1 Like