Help needed with weighting body with armature

I just cannot get tibby to stand. She has an armature. Without her head, she can stand. Once head is attached she falls over. I watched a tutorial from a few years ago on how to stuff the limbs and body. At first I only had glass beads in the bottom. Attached head n she was falling forward. Then I put glass beads in the front. She still falling forward. I’ve even tried to adjust the armature. She still falls over. I even tried with shoes on her feet. I’m gonna remove the glass beads from the bottom to see if that helps. Also her head is a little floppy. I only used polyfil in her head. I’ve used and cut 4 cable ties for her head already. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Some people put a pool noodle into the body, through the neck hole and into the head to keep the head up. Maybe that helps with balance?

3 Likes

This may help. I still have not adjusted my Taylor to get the armature to work. She is sitting on the shelf, holding her head, lol

3 Likes

I put a pool noodle through 7 Month June’s torso and neck and that did the trick for me!

2 Likes

Thank you, this is the tutorial I looked at.

I could not get the pool noodle to work with the top of the armature being at the neck opening. On my sitting Tibby the pool noodle worked perfect

Oh, Ok. Sorry. I just realized she used pellets instead of glass beads. I might need to order some of those instead to see if it helps

1 Like

I cut a slit on each side of the noodle so it would slip over the armature. Then I zip tied it underneath the arms of the armature

2 Likes

What a wonderful idea, thanks. I am going to see if I can get mine to work too. @Msmimi04, if I get mine to stand I will let you know what worked

2 Likes

Thank you

I’ll have to buy a pool noodle. Hopefully I can find one. Being that it’s winter here.

1 Like

It’s the same thing as foam pipe insulation that you can get at the hardware store. It comes in different diameters and colors.

1 Like

Is the head heavier than the body? From my experience with armature if you want to put a fair bit of weight you need a lot of stuffing in the legs to make them sturdy enough to support the doll otherwise it buckles under its own weight. I would also remove weight out of the head and just fill with stuffing, maybe cut a piece of foam pipe insulation for the neck part to add support without extra weight. By the way, if you put the zip/cable ties in backwards, (feed it in through where it should come out, smooth side should face outwards) it’ll still pull shut but only temporarily and you can then undo it again to save cutting and wasting so many.

3 Likes

What a wonderful sharing! I definitely will use this tip. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m no help but OMG she’s adorable!!!

1 Like

Thank you

Thank you

The head is only filled with polyfil. I put glass beads in the legs, about 2 inches past the ankles, stuck the armature in and filled the rest with polyfil. Before I had glass beads up to the knees. I thought she would be too heave and after watching the tutorial, I removed some glass beads. I’m gonna mess with her a lil more tonight when I get home n see how it goes. Thanks

So I took her head off her body n removed the glass beads from the body. Now she standing. :thinking:

Oh ok thanks. It’s one near me.

1 Like