Hair from Karman Dolls

You may have gotten finer hair from Golden Fleece. She sells yearling and kid as well as adult. The stuff from Karman is adult. Yearling and kid work better in shorter lengths for newborns. Golden Fleece is my absolute favorite and I never have any waste. You just need to make sure to buy adult mohair if you’re wanting it longer.

1 Like

Really fine hair will Matte like Katina said, so hopefully it was just use of hair. I’m used to working with incredibly fine almost invisible hair so hopefully all goes well!

It was adult, I try and always buy adult hair, so much easier to root :confused:

1 Like

Well I’m back again. I had some Karman saved for my last every custom order. Can’t wait until it’s done and get back to doing my own thing. Anyway I’m now back in love with Golden Fleece. Omgosh is it easier to root with!!!. I had a problem with Golden Fleece matting but I’m guessing it operator error as no one else seems to have a problem. It’s only when I’m rooting. I use a neck cushion for the head. Maybe I just fidget too much lol. I was thinking of trying to glue as a go. Anyone else do that? When the hair matts as I root it starts pulling some of the hair out. I mostly mono root so doesn’t take much hair missing to get a bald patch. Anyway back to using adult Golden Fleece. So nice to actually be able to see the hir I’m rooting lol

2 Likes

What direction do you root? It’s just assumed that everyone knows to start at the hairline and work your way back. But a surprising number of people try to root from the crown, therefore having to move what they’ve already rooted out of the way.

Also, try rooting shorter sections? Some people root long and then trim. It’s easier to root the length you want it to be when done. It’s easier to manage and you don’t have to cut the hair when you are done.
I have to say though…you’re definitely doing something right. Your end results are beautiful!

Awe thank you. Yes I start at the front and work back. Then I do the back and work towards the crown. But I think it’s when I’m doing the side of the head I screw up the back. When do you do the side? I map and directionally root. I also learned very quickly to cut the lengths short usually around 2-2.5". What a difference that made!! It could also be that I’m so use to the Russian hair not matting that I wasn’t as careful as I could have been when rooting with the Golden Fleece. If no one else is having issues it must be me. I’ll keep a better eye on how I’m rooting moving forward. :slight_smile:
Speaking of Golden Fleece they don’t seem to have much variety. Is that due to COVID or is it always limited?

1 Like

I use a rooting pillow too and I put plastic wrap around where I’ve already rooted so it doesn’t move or get pulled out :slight_smile:

That’s a good idea. Never thought about putting something on the head. I do use a pillow, don’t know how I rooted without it to be honest :slight_smile:

I root in a circle starting at the back but following my rooting map. I only start at the back to get my ‘rhythm’ but I don’t think it really matters. I do about a 1/2"-3/4" long section at a time. I don’t use a rooting pillow. I just root on my lap. To keep it from getting tangled while I work on subsequent rounds I pull a slice of a knee high stocking, about 3" long, over the head to cover what I’ve already rooted. When I finish a round I pull the stocking down over the neck, carefully lifting it over the face, and put it back on from the top, covering the newest round. This should also work with the pillow but doesn’t work with toddlers because their heads are too big. I’m going to try the Saran Wrap for them.

What a great idea!!!

You may have just gotten spoiled to the Russian mohair. It really is super easy to work with. I personally love Golden Fleece the best. But I didn’t discover it until I had lots of experience with wonky mohair. Get a test head and some bad mohair and practice with that. Then Golden Fleece will seem like a breeze to root. :wink:

The lack of variety might be my fault :grimacing: I bought several ounces lol. Also, I was going to make a note, try covering your rooting pillow in a satin material, it’ll help protect the hair more and should prevent it being pulled out as much. I’ve had this problem before I’ve just learned to only move them head when needed. I’ve also seen some artists Saran Wrap/Cling wrap portions of the head to prevent any from being pulled out? I assume this would work?

1 Like

I use it for alternative dolls only

DId anyone get hair yet? Mine has been sitting somewhere since may 15th

Nope, mine hasn’t moved since May 15th either

Mine shows that the package was processed in Russia on May 21st and is in transit

I got hair ordered in mid/late May. But my shipment from early May hasn’t moved since the 15th

Mine hasn’t moved since mid March. I’m ready to give up and ask for a refund. I hate to do that because it’s not her fault and she did process and ship the hair so I guess I’ll request a refund and repay her if it ever arrives.

3 Likes

Could you ask her to file a claim with the post office instead?