Glass beads imported just for me :)

Hi ladies (and ocasional gentlemen!)

I’m just so happy! As some of you already know, I haven’t been able to get ahold of any reborning supplies directly from Croatia (except polyfil and silicone balls for doll stuffing). The shipping cost me a fortune and a half just to get things started, but I didn’t give up LOL! But the other day I went to the local hobby&art store, and asked them if they can sell me a larger amount of glass beads. They ocasionally carry small packages of 0.20 kg and they cost a fortune (it’s mostly used for craft projects like card making and such). I said I need lots of it for my dolls, and showed them some pics. They immediatelly contacted their supplier from Austria, and they’ve replied they don’t usually sell larger amounts, but they will provide me with a few kilos. OMG, I couldn’t believe it! They’ve already sent me one kg (which should be enough for 2 or 3 dolls) and I’ve got a fair price, too! If I bought it via Ebay, it would be at least three times expensive than this with shipping included. They will go to Austria soon, to get more. Lucky me!

I know it might be hard to understand why I’m so excited over this. But if you consider that I’ve often paid more than double the price just to have a kit imported, you’ll see that this is indeed a big deal

That is good news!!! Im in australia so just to ship a couple of kits out to me can be $$ too.

Thats good that they are getting more for you!! I found this company that sells the glass beads for me, its for water jets machines and abrasion stuff.( hubby has a water jet at work and thats how i found it) If you have factories that make stuff there using these methods, they must get their glass sand/beads from somewhere?

— Begin quote from “emeraldhillnursery”

That is good news!!! Im in australia so just to ship a couple of kits out to me can be $$ too.

Thats good that they are getting more for you!! I found this company that sells the glass beads for me, its for water jets machines and abrasion stuff.( hubby has a water jet at work and thats how i found it) If you have factories that make stuff there using these methods, they must get their glass sand/beads from somewhere?

— End quote

There’s only one glass recycling company in Croatia, and they don’t produce beads, but tiny shreads of glass. They would be unusable and could damage the doll, so I have to import it from other countries. I don’t know of any other factories that could use this sort of glass beads. Ah, well, this works, too

Check with any auto body repair shop. They use sand, and most, today use glass to blast off paint and rust. My neighbor does this work and I got a 50 lb bag thru him. I know what you mean about supplies. Yes, I can order, but none of my local stores have stuff. Walmart is 32 miles away and the next craft store is 100 miles away. So glad businesses are responding.

We just added the following to our product description on the glass beads that we sell:

[list]These are NOT the super-tiny beads commonly used in sand-blasting, and commonly purchased from places like Freight Harbor. Such super-tiny beads have too much fine particulate glass “dust” in our opinion. Those “dust” beads will sift through a nylon sock and leak, plus we believe super-tiny “dust” beads to be a potential health and respiratory danger.[/list:u:3g0301i3]

Bountiful Baby

I’m glad you found what you needed! Stuff can add up in our hobby so glad u found a deal! ))

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips!

The glass beads I’ve got are not “superfine”, “silent”, “flowing-like-salt-like”, but slightly larger than the usual reborning type. I’d say about 1/3 mm (sorry, don’t know to recalculate that it in inches). Still fine to me. Now I don’t have to understuff my dolls anymore, yaay!
I’ll need to check the auto body repair shops I can only imagine the faces when I tell them what I need those glass beads for LOL

Auto body shops can get various sizes, though.