Genesis Paint Not Curing

I don’t know what works. Lol!!! I haven’t even finished one vinyl doll yet. Now I’m curious of the paint will come off because I did it wrong. :flushed:

Do you mean it will wipe off and take all the layers? Should I strip this one and do it with just the paints? Sorry, I am clueless with vinyl and just kind of did things without too much thought.

2 Likes

Thick medium is used for areas you want raised slightly

Eyebrows. Milk bumps. Hair.

4 Likes

No,no, no, no, no! If it cured/ baked it will stay. It will take layers when you paint and rub on it.

1 Like

Oh… well I baked each layer and found out today I don’t have to, I can do like every 3 layers. It seems absurd but doing silicone first gave me habits or something and now I’m having a hard time not painting vinyl the same.

Thank you guys! I appreciate you all! :hugs:

4 Likes

I would continue to bake each layer - the best practice, which avoid paint to look muddy.
At least that is what I do :wink:

3 Likes

Bake each layer. Otherwise you risk chalky spots or muddy colors.

2 Likes

I mix my own colors with thinner. I take some brush strokes of red and some of yellow or blue and mix with thinner because it creates that realistic translucent layer. I think the thick medium might be an expensive extra step

3 Likes

I got excited when I figured this out too until one day…

They ALL came off. :woman_facepalming:t2:

So yeah I don’t do that anymore. I may do two to blend the colors a little… maybe a red and blue mottle. But I had to strip a whole kit because I was trying to skip to many steps :pleading_face:

4 Likes

No need to get upset with me about it. Just trying to help you find ideas to get through until the situation is resolved.

When I first started reborning, I used a lot of thinning medium for lips, blushing, creases. I found it caused chalkiness, especially with several layers. Where I blushed with it, sometimes the paint would lift off down to the vinyl. I usually mixed it in with my paint and paint thinner. I think it doesn’t cure as well with too many layers of thinning medium added. I stopped using thinning medium about six years ago and my painting improved. I found the creases were easier to blend, blushing looked more natural, and my dolls’ lips stopped looking like they were wearing lipstick. I only use Mona Lisa and Gamsol for painting skin layers. I use Sansodor for painting hair (it blends softer for me).

5 Likes

I wasn’t upset with you. Sorry you took it that way.

It is my understanding that Genesis is denying they changed anything so what is the recourse of suppliers who are selling their paints when the customers complain? It is not the fault of supplers like BB and MacPherson’s if the paint is defective. They cannot make Genesis own up to whatever it is they have done to/with the paints. I wonder if some if you all should try calling the company for Genesis yourselves?

3 Likes

Everyone who’s had a problem should complain to the company, not the distributors, and threaten to boycott them until they fix the problem.

10 Likes

Yeah, if they start losing money, maybe they will do what is right. Do they really want to shoot themselves in the foot like this and deny there is an issue? Reborners are their main bread and butter.

6 Likes

This happens with one of mine too!

Everyone should complain to the company. Not sure who else uses their paints, but it seems that losing reborners would put a dent in their pockets.

As far as recourse goes, it’s true that it’s not the fault of the distributor that genesis paints are defective, but it’s not the fault of the consumer either. I own a brick and mortar business here, and when a product I sell ends up being truly defective, I accept returns, refund the customers, then go after the company myself. These are business problems and they do come with the territory of owning one. I can’t imagine trying to hand that to my customers. Not only would I lose their trust, I would lose their business. In my industry there is too much competition.

That said, these are only opinions. There are no hard rules when it comes to stuff like this. Just sharing the way that I have handled my businesses for the past 17 years.

14 Likes

Very interesting conversation. I’m not sure how I missed this.

Explains a few things for me. This year I have only finished 3 babies. And…for the first time I had to strip a kit (3 of them). Everything just looked muddy and chalky. Now I see why! I regularly use UM blue and the parole red, so I guess they weren’t curing properly.

My baby Bryson started having paint rub off toes, just from lying in furry blanket! I’m almost afraid to look at my baby Blessing :frowning:

What are my options now? Do I strip and repaint with “good” paint?

I hope none of the babies I sent out last of 2020 were defective!

7 Likes

That’s the scariest part: selling kits that may have this defective paint, before it was known about.

4 Likes

I had nearly finished painting my Mia when I realized the paint wasn’t curing. I went over her with thinner and after removing the uncured paint, what was left was an earthy brown tone. I made it work by making her biracial. I also did this with my Madison. Not ideal, but I preferred it over stripping. I’m not sure what will happen if you go over a complete baby with thinner. You may be surprised about what comes off, or it may be trapped under the varnish, only to cause problems later. I’m sorry this has happened to you too. Keep us updated!

5 Likes

I’ll check Blessing in the morning

3 Likes