Genesis Paint Not Curing

Oh you are right- I have heard people mention this before. If someone had enough paint to mix the new with the old 50/50 and it cured completely, that would be pretty good proof it has been cut with another medium. I don’t have enough spare genesis to waste any with what is going on now (unless I did a tiny speck lol)

3 Likes

Geez, all of my Genesis paint is really old and it’s all really firm in the jar. I stir it up once in a while and it is true, the more you stir it the softer and buttery it becomes—But—these paints look more like acrylic paint. The formula has definitely been changed or they are having trouble getting an ingredient to make the “original” formula. This is NOT cool if it is an intentional change to the formula without letting the public know!! JMO

5 Likes

If thinning medium has been added will it evaporate if the jar is left open?

No

My beginner kit that came is thinner but I had no comparison because I had no old stock. I bought the thick medium to add my own pigment to and the jar of that I just got is nearly wax consistency. The tiny sample of it with my kit is a lot thinner and soft. I wonder if this larger jar is from an older batch.

How many people do you think buy just the thick medium to add color to? I don’t know how common it is for artists to mix their own from this and pigment.

I can tell you that this thicker jar I got takes half the time to cure. I bake it 8 minutes and it is good. The starter kit thing won’t cure unless I bake it 12 or more minutes. I just thought the oven I bought was somehow off given that it is a used one and does not have digital settings. It only has the turn dial temp and timer.

I’ll come back and post the lot number on that thick medium I got. Maybe that will help?

I bought mine on Amazon from the seller below.

Detailed Seller Information

• Business Name:Mary Gibililisco
  • Business Address:
    • 4670 Hickory St
    • Omaha
    • NE
    • US

This is the lot of thick medium I have.

1 Like

I think most people mix genesis with odourless thinner when they paint not thick medium. Are you thinking you will paint your kit with thick medium or just certain details?

I find the thick medium to be thicker and more waxy like you describe.

I painted Fawna with it. I add pigment to it and then use it like the premixed ones. I add solvent to get it thin enough to paint with it. It seemed like nothing more than a clear base to me. I could be wrong for sure because I haven’t painted even one full vinyl kit yet. It is sticking to Fawna though. Even wiping it with solvent isn’t taking it off.

I don’t like the premixed colors. When I started painting silicone, I just added SilcPig to silicone, thinned it, and painted. I do the same with the thick medium.

Edit: I use the thick medium to create the colors that everyone thins to paint with.

I’m not sure what the purpose is. You mean you mix two or more colours to get a colour you want and add thick medium and then thin it? Why would you just not mix the colours and the thinner? I understand the thick medium if you want your paint to hold shape maybe for milia or hair strokes, but for painting the skin colouring what is the purpose of the thick medium? Does it give a different effect?

It just makes the same consistency as the colors you get premixed. I don’t use the premixed colors at all. I mix my own colors.

I see. I haven’t bought any premixed colours so I guess I didn’t realize. I’ve only had genesis colours.

1 Like

Actually now that I think of it I probably do have premixed Colours because when I started painting with Genesis I bought the starter set from bountiful baby. Those colours don’t seem like they have any thick medium mixed into them, they seem just as thick as any Genesis paint. Maybe they don’t mix theirs like that, but others do? I also still buy BB Brow brown and ethnic brow for painting hair

1 Like

I only have pigment because I started with silicone. Otherwise, I likely would just use the premixed kind. I just got use to mixing the silcpig colors and didn’t feel like trying to mix the ones that already had been mixed. I was going to get primary colors but I’m not ordering more GHSP until this mess is sorted out.

I use these with the thick medium.

1 Like

So the pigment you mix in isn’t actually genesis paint? I was thinking you meant you were taking genesis paint colours and mixing them with Genesis thick medium to make a colour you wanted and then thinning it with odourless thinner

1 Like

Correct. I’m not 100% sure what these pigments are made of but they are the liquid equivalent of powder pigment. I’ve also put nail glitter powder in the genesis paint and it has cured that way as well. I figured if they have them in the fantasy kit, it wouldn’t inhibit the cure and it didn’t.

1 Like

Ok now I understand, I was missing what you were saying.

2 Likes

Probably the same as if you get fluff mixed in and bake.

1 Like

My premix colors have same consistency as primary colors.
I think your method only worked for you because you paint individual hairs on your Fawna.
Mixing with Genesis thinner will be impossible to use for washes.
Also adding Genesis thinner to the paint makes end results shiny.

4 Likes

I did the same for all of her painting. I didn’t add the thinning medium. I mixed silc pig with the thick medium and then diluted it with Mona Lisa thinner stuff.

For her hair, I just thin it way less with the Mona Lisa stuff.

Just for learning purposes, if the thick medium isnt designed to add pigment, what is it for? I am clearly confused on this.

1 Like

Here’s what I found

2 Likes

Of course it designed to add pigments, but for smaller areas that you need to ‘stand out’.
I don’t know how to describe it in English.

Also if you use too much of it it will takes all your previous layers to a bare vinyl.

But this is your art process, do what works for you :wink:

3 Likes