Forked needles, how to position the needle

Me either, I found it very difficult. lots of hours and not much progress. I had a very hard time locating the sweet spot, it seems as though mine was Non-existent

4 Likes

I could catch hairs with my forked, and actually liked the way they rooted, but I always had huge holes, even with the smallest forked needles I could find. I tried baking the head afterward and heating as I rooted, but nothing ever got rid of the holes. Anyone have any tricks for not getting huge holes with forked needles?

2 Likes

I think the single barb needles are easier and they don’t leave visible holes.

2 Likes

Wow…

Jeanhai,. Do you bend your needles? I tend to bend my single Barb needles really bad.

I use the pink felting pen which helps keep the needle straight. I also fill the head with polypellets up to the groove for the zip tie. Then I pack them in tightly with paper towels. It prevents the vinyl from ‘giving’ so there is less bending and breakage of the needles. When I’m done, I pour them out and brush out any that got stuck inside. Then I re-use them.

1 Like

I also use a 43g single barb needle, I don’t care for the forked as they leave too big of holes. I know the ladies who use them say they don’t get bigger holes but compared to a 43g single barb they definitely leave a much more noticeable hole. I can root forever with my needle.

2 Likes

Can i ask where you got your 43 single barbs needles ? I search for those but can’t find. Thanks!

I have gotten mine a several different places but usually just order them from Bountiful Baby. Watch the barb depth though. There is a .02 and a .04 barb depth and I get the .04 (the deeper depth).

1 Like

@anon81835189 @Dollymommas